Buck Forage Oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Forage Oats

Picked some up today for $30 a 50lb bag at distributor. Anyone have experience with these oats? Picked up some chicory and clover as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Deer eat the heck out of them, but I could never see them as any better than wheat. Good price though if they are this year’s oats.

Comment

No telling but I picked them up from their main store in Simonton. No special price, just cheaper to buy from the source than a store. Otherwise same bag I bought today would cost $75 to have shipped from them.

Comment

Buy yourself a bag of whole horse oats from the feed store and do a germination test. If they are this years oats you can probably cut your seed cost in half.

Comment

I've had deer walk right over wheat to get to the Buck Forage Oats. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Buy yourself a bag of whole horse oats from the feed store and do a germination test. If they are this years oats you can probably cut your seed cost in half.
            Feed oats do not hold up as well when it gets cool as seed oats, its not even worth the trouble. I done been down that road several times.

There is 5.00 difference between seed oats and feed oats on a 50 pound bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Feed oats do not hold up as well when it gets cool as seed oats, its not even worth the trouble. I done been down that road several times.

I personally saw Buck Forage Oats survive multiple days of negative temps and 6” of snowcover.

They are by far the best forage oat bred for food plots.

Comment

Gonna call b.s. where do you think seed oats come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                  I personally saw Buck Forage Oats survive multiple days of negative temps and 6” of snowcover.

They are by far the best forage oat bred for food plots.
                  Yes sir, I always mix in Daikon radish with my forage oats as well. Lot of guys used to tell me feed oats was the way to go but they dont handle cold real well.

Comment

Gonna call b.s. where do you think seed oats come from?
                    Feed oats are not cleaned as well and the germination rate is far less, another thing with feed oats is how much weed seeds are mixed in with it. Why would you want to put all that time and effort in a food plot to plant "seed" that may not even germinate.

What is your success rate planting feed oats?

Comment

Well feed oats will grow but yes, like all things you can breed something better. Just like cattle, plants have genes as well.

Never tried buck forage oats but 50lb bag for 30 bucks that has great reviews and may give me a leg up on my neighbor who plants race horse oats...key word "may" but got to try.

Love hearing from people that have actually used it.

As far as the seed-
                      97% seed
                      85% germination

Which puts the bag around 40lbs of good seed

I dont know the data on the cheaper oats but feel free to add that

Comment

From my first post! Pay special attention to "germination test."

Comment

From my first post! Pay special attention to "germination test."
                          And if your test fails, how much money did you save?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                            I've had deer walk right over wheat to get to the Buck Forage Oats. Good luck.
                            If you’re in the middle of timberland and nobody is planting BF oats, then they will feed in your wheat. Profusely !

Comment

And if your test fails, how much money did you save?
                              You only need about 45% germination to break even. Less than that hogs will eat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X