Best Pool Filter System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Pool Filter System?

I have a question for the pool gurus. I’m currently using a Hayward Swimclear cartridge filter system that was with the pool when we bought the house about a year ago. I’m not sure how old it is but its been leaky from day 1 for me. Last night I noticed it had a small spray coming from the bottom of the housing while running the hot tub so now I’m researching replacement systems.

What’s the best filter system to replace it with? It seems like it’s a toss up between cartridge filter and DE systems from what I’ve read. What are the pros/cons of each? Am I better off sticking with a cartridge system? I’m a rookie when it comes to this pool stuff so any advice is much appreciated

Details about pool - in ground pool, 17,500 gal, chlorine system, large mature live oak hovers over the pool so lots of leaves & pollen this time of year

We primarily use 420 & 520 Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filters on our new builds. Every now and then, someone will request a sand filter or DE but otherwise we stick to the cartridge filters.

Comment

I don't think there is any "best". The better makers from all types - DE, Sand, Cartridge will all work fine as long as the pool is continually maintained including proper chemicals. My past pool cleaning systems have all been at least 50% oversized/over capacity and that helps if you get behind on your maintenance. I've run in-line mineral filters and a slime bag in the past and those both helped "polish" the water. I also like the robot pool cleaners.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        We primarily use 420 & 520 Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filters on our new builds. Every now and then, someone will request a sand filter or DE but otherwise we stick to the cartridge filters.

Any particular reason for that? Or is it just an easier system to maintain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
          I don't think there is any "best". The better makers from all types - DE, Sand, Cartridge will all work fine as long as the pool is continually maintained including proper chemicals. My past pool cleaning systems have all been at least 50% oversized/over capacity and that helps if you get behind on your maintenance. I've run in-line mineral filters and a slime bag in the past and those both helped "polish" the water. I also like the robot pool cleaners.

The slime bag is interesting. I’ve never heard of those but will look in to them. That looks like it’d help quite a bit especially when the pollen starts falling

I have one of the original Polaris cleaners right now but want to upgrade to the robot style eventually. Any particular brand/model you’d recommend?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

the correct answer is, your friends pool filter system.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post

LOL. I have a standing offer. Anyone who wants my pool can come get it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  LOL. I have a standing offer. Anyone who wants my pool can come get it for free.
                  i'll give them a 2for1 special

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post

Lol. Pools are like boats. The only thing better than owning one yourself is having a friend that does.

That being said, we love our pool……so far

Comment

It is leaking from where the top half comes off on the tub that holds the filters? Mine did similar and I had to order a new seal and I coat it liberally with vaseline each time I take it off and put in new filters.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                        It is leaking from where the top half comes off on the tub that holds the filters? Mine did similar and I had to order a new seal and I coat it liberally with vaseline each time I take it off and put in new filters.

No sir - I did have a leak there but already fixed it by doing exactly what you did.

This leak/spray is coming from the very bottom of the tub that holds the filters. It wasn’t obvious until I ran the hot tub and the pressure went from ~17# to ~28#.

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
                          Any particular reason for that? Or is it just an easier system to maintain?

Super simple and easy to maintain.

Comment

I ran filters for years and hated it. You got to pull them, soak them in shock, spray, etc. Plus they're $75 to $100 to replace. I'm now running an oversized sand filter and love it. Just turn the handle and backwash. I would also strongly recommend an ozone generator. My water is always crystal clear and rarely shock it.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                              I ran filters for years and hated it. You got to pull them, soak them in shock, spray, etc. Plus they're $75 to $100 to replace. I'm now running an oversized sand filter and love it. Just turn the handle and backwash. I would also strongly recommend an ozone generator. My water is always crystal clear and rarely shock it.
                              I only pull mine and clean them about once every 4 months. It's about a 30 min process from start to finish for me. I spray them down with simple green and let them soak for about 10 mins and then hose them down with a high pressure nozzle and put them back in. I always found it pretty easy. I have huge trees around my pool too so I catch a lot of leaves and pollen etc. They do need to be replaced after a while but mine went 3-4 years before replacing. Nothing wrong with sand or DE filters though. It's just a matter of what's preferred. They all work.

Comment

Working...
                              X