How would y’all handle this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll start out by saying my dad is good as gold to my gf and I. He has a habit of being blinded by a pretty face and attention, he gets taken advantage of easily because he’s done well for himself and doesn’t want to be alone. He’s 62

My girlfriend is the type that likes to host, she puts in a ton of work to make everyone feel welcome and for everyone to have a good tome. We spent 4 hours cooking because it was agreed upon that we would do dinner at our house. Tonight at our family Christmas, he and his new girlfriend (16 years younger) came over to our home with her two sons who I have met a couple of times. The older one is ok and the younger one is not my style but probably not a bad kid. When they arrived they had failed to inform us that the boys (teenagers) were bringing their girlfriends and one of the girls friends. Usually not a big deal but we had a head count before hand and cooked a nice dinner for that number.

Secondly, they walked in said hi and walked straight to the couch where my dads gf and the two girls sat and talked in whispers while the two boys played on their phones. No one engaged in conversation with my gf or I except my dad. They seemed inconvenienced to be here to say the least, yet it was their idea to have Christmas here together. When it was time for dinner dads gf said I’m still full from breakfast and stayed on the couch while everyone else ate.

Promptly after gifts were exchanged she announced it was time to go as they had a long day the next day with her family and they filed outside. No thanks for having us, no kiss my ***, nothing. My dad kind of gave me a shrug like “well that’s my cue, time to go I guess”.

Brooklyn is upset because she put in a lot of work making our house look nice and with dinner and feels like it was all for nothing. She knows how this lady has acted in the past and that she shouldn’t expect too much from her, but I feel tonight was a slap in the face. I don’t know what to do, talks with dad haven’t helped a bit.
    Last edited by jaker_cc; 12-24-2020, 08:51 PM.

Sounds like you and your gf need to have your own Christmas. Just because they're family doesn't mean they deserve your time. This is the second year in a row that my wife, son and I have had our own Christmas at home by ourselves. Family is only important if they treat you as such.

Comment

[emoji1365][emoji1603]

Don’t waste another breath on them, it would be a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-24-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

If talks with dad didn’t work talk to her & then boys. I’ve had family & friends over before & a similar situation transpired. I walked in the middle of them & told them it was family time, put the phones up & if you don’t like that you can just see yourself out. When one of the adults said something me I told them that they don’t have to come to my house, but I’m not working my butt off to feed people that are just gonna sit around on their phone & not converse with people.

Comment

For me, this would fall in the: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." category.

Sorry your family Christmas didn't go well. Don't let it ruin your Christmas.

Merry Christmas!!

Comment

Dang shame some people don’t know to be considerate when invited over. We’ve learned to limit our interactions after a few similar encounters over the years. All I can say is take care of your girlfriend as she appears to be a great catch. Merry Christmas

Comment

I’d let it go. If they didn’t care enough to show appreciation for y’all hosting and preparing dinner, they don’t care enough to change their ways. I’ve learned it’s easier for me to let it go and not make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Yup. Their done. I would tell my dad the truth and let the chips fall where they may. Personally I really don’t like going to someone’s house that I’m not familiar with. Especially for a holiday as personal as Christmas.
                Last edited by Hogmauler; 12-24-2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  Yup. Their done. I would tell my dad the truth and let the chips fall where they may. Personally I really don’t like going to someone’s house that I’m not familiar with. Especially for a holiday as personal as Christmas.

Yup. Ole Dad would get an earful and I’d make sure I’d let him know he’s a ***** whipped SOB at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Yup. Ole Dad would get an earful and I’d make sure I’d let him know he’s a ***** whipped SOB at the end.
                    This ^^^^.
                    I would hold my Dad accountable for all of it,
                    but my dad knows better, he's the one that taught me.

Comment

16 years younger?!? I’d give him a high 5 first! Then let him know there won’t be another invite if that’s the way they treat the hosts.

Comment

Make sure that you tell your GF she did an outstanding job and none of what transpired was her fault. Attempt a conversation with your father. Think long and hard before hosting again.

Do not let it ruin your Christmas Holliday.

Comment

I’d talk to your Dad alone and in person and tell him how that made y’all feel, he might be more bothered it upset your gf than just upsetting you, that’s a guess but that’s how I am with my boy’s gf’s when I upset them (often but not intentionally )

I watched my Dad keep his mouth shut about my Grandfather’s new gf and ultimately wife and her behavior after my Grandmother died and it was not good. I don’t think you throw down an ultimatum at this point but be clear that you didn’t like the way the evening went and you don’t intend to let it happen again.

Comment

I just wish I could have had one more Christmas with my Dad.

Comment

Thanks for coming folks! I'm glad we had this holiday gathering together! I hope you enjoyed it, because your rude asses won't be coming back! Falalalala....lalala.

Comment

Working...
                              X