TYHP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TYHP question

This is our 1st year applying for these hunts and my son was just picked for a hunt on the Clear Fork Creek! I’m just curious to how many of these hunts give kids the green light to harvest a buck instead of just doe hunts… The lady I spoke to at TYHP said all deer hunts are for doe but sone times the ranch okays bucks.
    I don’t want to come off as ungreatful or anything but I can put my son on a doe just up the road from the house, and I love the aspect of the learning and being around other youth hunters. I don’t want to take a spot from another youth hunter that doesn’t have my same option as my son.
    I’d like to hear from anyone that’s hunted with these guys and get a better idea to what we are in for or what to expect.

Expect only does. The group atmosphere can be fun or it could be a let down depends on the hunters level of knowledge. They might work on using a compass and 9 kids never see a compass and your kid know exactly how it works. Mostly geared to first time deer hunters some are more advanced. Congratulations

Comment

Yeah Just like Mitchell8 was saying it is almost all the time doe patrol. Now I have been on some hunts where they hunt bucks but most of the time the program will never advertise it because I think those would be the only hunts kids would apply for. Anyways Congratulations on drawing.

Comment

My issue is that we never received responses to any application. An email saying you did not get accepted would allow much more opportunity to plan other public land hunts
        Attached Files

Comment

Soooooo...yeah. If you want him to be guaranteed a shot at a buck, you'll have better luck on hunts other than TYHP hunts. If what you want is for your kiddo to enjoy a hunt among peers, different scenery, a great father/child experience, etc...TYHP hunts will never disappoint. My son and I have been on 3. One we didn't shoot a deer. It was still an awesome experience unmatched for $150. He showed up to each hunt not knowing anybody there besides me and left with awesome memories, a bunch of new friends(even if long distance), and most of the time some meat for the freezer.

Comment

I've never known about about the Texas draw hunts or the TYHP hunts until a year ago, and have spent hundreds of hours researching the hunts. Draw hunts and pref points are the best strategy for getting your kid on a buck or exotic, but between my kids, nephew and niece, we were 0/63, but we got pref points, so maybe next year we will draw.

For TYHP, most hunts are on MLD ranches where the landowners lease to a group of hunters, or sell guided hunts. They offer their place to give kids a chance to shoot a doe or multiple does, because its more fun to give a kid a chance to hunt a doe than to roll thru on their high rack and shoot their target number of does one or two weekends a year.

The more TYHP hunts you apply for, the more likely you will get drawn. I didn't understand that at first, and only applied for hunts with high fence and lodging, and there are likely hundreds of applicants for a 4 or 5 spot hunt. Tent camping in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception was a big no no for me at first, but it's grown on me as it gets kids away from the computer, phones and tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              My issue is that we never received responses to any application. An email saying you did not get accepted would allow much more opportunity to plan other public land hunts
              I'd recommend to apply to any hunt you could reasonably attend in your area. Living in Lubbock, the closest hunts are 4-5 hours away.

Comment

TYHP question

We went one deer and one turkey hunt w/TYHP

It started out doe and hogs, and each trip out owner added spike and bob cat, then last morning was anything including the big bucks.

We were totally new and it was amazing. Two 12 year old girls helped my 15 yr old son break down his spike, another girl was walking around with the different organs like a biologist explaining stuff to us. The food was so delicious, every meal.

The turkey trip was also crazy awesome, huge axis bucks just a few yards in front of us…but they were off limits.

So much fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our first year to apply and my 13 yr old son got picked for Clear Fork Creek. He shot his first deer last fall (smaller cull buck) on family friends place. We don't have a place of our own at the moment so we are excited for the chance to get out and enjoy the experience and meet some new people - hopefully restock the freezer. Looking forward to meeting y'all..

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I’ll think on it today and hopefully he will draw on one of the tpwd hunts and go from there. Who knows… like I stated, I don’t want to take a spot from another youth hunter that doesn’t have the same opportunities as my son.

Comment

One TYHP hunt we went on, a young boy didn't get anything while the other kids all shot multiple deer. The last morning, the land owner personally took the kid out and let him shoot a nice cull buck. That was a special situation where the land owner felt sorry for the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBCAT4119 View Post
                        Thanks for the replies guys! That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I’ll think on it today and hopefully he will draw on one of the tpwd hunts and go from there. Who knows… like I stated, I don’t want to take a spot from another youth hunter that doesn’t have the same opportunities as my son.
                        Stop thinking and take your kid on the TYHP hunt. Let go of the worrying about taking a spot from someone else. If at any point you feel some kinda shame thinking you took something, blame me.

My kids have been on plenty of TYHP hunts, I have guided plenty and I have run plenty, so not just blowing smoke here.

Comment

I run a TYHP hunt (I don't have any say so in the selection process) and I can tell you that we have all levels of experienced hunters that attend. Sometimes it is beneficial to have some hunters (and their parents) who have experience and are willing to share their knowledge with the inexperienced hunters. It is always great when a parent with a lot of knowledge helps, especially when it comes time to clean the deer. I have recruited several volunteers from parents who attended my hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by McLovin View Post
                            I run a TYHP hunt (I don't have any say so in the selection process) and I can tell you that we have all levels of experienced hunters that attend. Sometimes it is beneficial to have some hunters (and their parents) who have experience and are willing to share their knowledge with the inexperienced hunters. It is always great when a parent with a lot of knowledge helps, especially when it comes time to clean the deer. I have recruited several volunteers from parents who attended my hunt.
                            Amen!

Our very first TYHP experience was my oldest son when he was 14. He had plenty experience but the other 4 were all first timers. He shot 3 does first morning and then helped the other boys at the skinning rack all weekend. Only on the last day did an adult skin a deer and that was because we were trying to get on the road. He was exhausted. Was pretty cool shooting 3 does in one sit but for him he walked away with the heart full after getting to big brother the younger guys!

Comment

That’s awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X