Large Rifle vs LMR primers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Rifle vs LMR primers

Has anyone ever used large rifle primers instead of LMR primers? I’m struggling to get LMR primers but have large rifle primers. What difference did it make with your load by using the “smaller” primer?
    I’m going to load a batch and shoot them through the chrono just to see if I can see a speed difference, anything else I can try?

What cartridge are you loading for?

Comment

I've used both and speed tested both. I notice about 25 FPS between the two. I did a test on consistency by comparing speeds with same load and noticed I got more consistant ignition from the LMR's. I used the CCI#250's and CCI#200's

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
        What cartridge are you loading for?
        Both the 300 WSM and WM

Comment

Another question, I have some LMR primers but, not all the same brand, how much of a difference is brand? Should I try to swap for same brands?

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
            Another question, I have some LMR primers but, not all the same brand, how much of a difference is brand? Should I try to swap for same brands?
            I would definitely use one brand.

Comment

I use CCI magnum rifle primers in everything and just back the charge off a little, but I’ve never used regular rifle primers in a caliber that calls for magnum.

Comment

Both the 300 WSM and WM
                You may have trouble getting consistent ignition on that much powder with regular LR primers depending on which powder and temperature. I would stick with magnum primers.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                  I would definitely use one brand.
                  My gut is saying the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                    You may have trouble getting consistent ignition on that much powder with regular LR primers depending on which powder and temperature. I would stick with magnum primers.
                    This. It's especially true with ball powders.

Comment

Both the 300 WSM and WM
                      I use LRP in the short mags and LMRP in the longer case 300WM or any long case/long action caliber. Short Mags tend to use a slightly faster burning powder whereas longer cases like a slower burning powder so a hotter primer seems to work better for me. That's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                        This. It's especially true with ball powders.
                        Agree!

Comment

Academy has lifted ammo restrictions and even Wal Mart is flush with ammo. I'm hoping we see primers on shelves and not stupidly high soon.

Comment

Yes. I’m running BR2s in my 7 mag. And it’s a stout powder charge.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              I use LRP in the short mags and LMRP in the longer case 300WM or any long case/long action caliber. Short Mags tend to use a slightly faster burning powder whereas longer cases like a slower burning powder so a hotter primer seems to work better for me. That's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it.
                              This. The short fat cartridges are generally more efficient with regard to powder ignition and burn, so you may be able to get away with LRPs but I would suggest the LRMs for the 300WM.

Comment

Working...
                              X