Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
    I thought it would fry a tiny fiber optic line.
    Any idea why the server and fiber line lived through the event?

A fiber line shouldn’t even be conductive. It’s literally a plastic “conduit” for light to travel through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
      There are 3 ways it gets into your house.
      there's a fourth. It can hit the metal pipe in your chimney. Ask me how I know.
      It blew the siding off the outside of the house, fried the electoral circuits upstairs, blew the baseboards off the walls upstairs, fried every appliance downstairs in the kitchen (frig.,oven, and dishwasher, plus small appliances like coffee maker, blender ). It resulted in a call to the fire dept. to come and check for 'hot spots' in the walls. And I was in the house when it struck !!!

Comment

There's a 4th way, under ground and through slab. O I got hit July 9th but I forgot to post it lol.

Comment

It is not possible for lighting to enter the home thru fiber. AT&T uses Corning fiber. It is glass coated in plastic. If you have old copper lines that are still attached at house could have brought it in. The inky thing fiber does is reflect light.

Comment

Daggum Johnny, sorry to hear this! Glad that Generator did it's thing for you and the mrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              Daggum Johnny, sorry to hear this! Glad that Generator did it's thing for you and the mrs.
              Thanks Oscar. Hope I bought the last thing today to get back to 100%...

Comment

Buddy of mine had his slab blown out by a strike. Crazy

Comment

Today another TV died and I found a outlet that is dead on the porch. Getting close to 5K...

Comment

Fiber is used to isolate equipment from lightning and surges.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                      Fiber is used to isolate equipment from lightning and surges.
                      Hit the power pole 10 houses west of me. HDMI ports failing...

Comment

Glad you found the cause. I hate you are going through this. Hope you stop finding stuff soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                          There's a 4th way, under ground and through slab. O I got hit July 9th but I forgot to post it lol.
                          We had lightning strike a big pine tree in the front yard where I lived long ago. I guess it got in the rebar some way becaue it blew a snow cone shaped hole in the slab in the garage. Concrete chips and aggregate were buried in the sheet rock ceiling. No fire, thank goodness, but I was in the bed about thirty feet from that pine tree when it hit. I wasn’t there long though !

Comment

Working...
                          X