Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
    Are you planting them to feed dove ?

Yes but wont broadcast them until Oct/Nov. Could do it now but don't have time. They will cold stratify over the winter and pop up in the spring (assuming it rains this spring...lol).

Comment

native sunflowers

I've had cows graze in around mine and they don't see to mess with the native sunflowers.

Comment

These ain't native but you won't need to have as many and they should bring in the giant doves. Bigger the flower bigger the dove
        The Mongolian Giant Sunflower is one of the tallest sunflowers in existence! These massive blooms will grow from 12'-14' tall with huge 16"-18" heads that are full of Seeds. The Mongolian Giant produces the longest seed of any variety, measuring 1-1/2" long, and makes a delicious snack when roasted. Because of their so

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          These ain't native but you won't need to have as many and they should bring in the giant doves. Bigger the flower bigger the dove
          https://hosstools.com/product/mongol...ant-sunflower/

That's for Boone & Crockett doves!

Comment

Lol. The striped varieties are basically useless for dove.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Lol. The striped varieties are basically useless for dove.
              I guess you've never seen a Mongolian dove

Comment

We feed a mixture of white safflower and black oil sunflower seed in all 5 of our backyard birdfeeders. Dove love both seeds. I planted some big sunflower seed from the feed we use for our African Grey and Quaker parrots. Plants got 12ft tall and now the doves are wearing them out as the seeds get knocked out by the little chee chee birds. Next year I will plant the giant Mongolians and also some more parrot seed sunflowers. The flowers don't get as big if you leave the suckers on the stalks. Birds prefer the smaller seeds. Cardinals have no problem with the bigger seeds. They just crack them open and eat the kernels like parrots do.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes food plot for doves. We have tried the other variety of Sunflowers and they won’t grow without irrigation. The natives will grow in the crappiest dirt and need little water.

I talked to Turner Seed before I posted this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Check out Wild Seeds Farms in Eagle Lake, Tx.maybe Douglas seeds in San Antonio May have them. I was thinking of planting then in small patches Vs planting in rows since they reseed there selves. What I have read plant in late January or February. Just disc up the ground sprinkle over dirt and mix in. Maybe mix some Sesame or Red millet around them give them space to grow and reseed there selves

Comment

Wild Seed Farm moved to Fredricksburg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X