Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else not interested in the technical aspects of archery/tuning/etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned how to do all of that out of necessity and I still work on my own bows, friends bows, out of necessity but I prefer not too. I can't stand it when a "tech" at a pro shop screws up my set up.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
      I tune enough to be proficient at killin stuff. Then I'm done...
      Yep. If there is a problem, I fix it. Otherwise, its just a tool.

Comment

I let someone else do all the tuning etc. I gotta have someone to blame when I miss, or make a bad shot.

Comment

I change my own oil…and tune my own bow

Comment

I didn’t even think there were this many bow hunters on this site. [emoji23]

I can work on my bow, but leave tuning to the guys at the archery shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
              I change my own oil…and tune my own bow

I have the guys at Jiffy Lube tune my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

That’s awesome…my bow tech changes my oil

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

That would be as effective as the last time I took my bow into a bow shop.

Comment

Older I get the more I enjoy being able to work on my own bow and tinker with things. You really don't need to know much for 20 yard mechanical BH shots. When you start shooting 40-100 yards regularly it helps to know what you're doing.

I just got back from an elk hunt that some guys paid really good money for. I had to help them tune their bows they barely shot all summer, then watched them make horrible slam dunk shots.

Comment

Been at this since 1958. Longer than some of you are old. Dad owned a Bear archery shop and I grew up shooting. Tried the compound thing once but wasn't for me. Never shot a bow with sights. About 10 years ago I decided to go primitive and made my bows out of Osage. Took up flint knapping and hunt with a self bow and stone points. Killed one deer with one of my stone points. Don't get any better. The most technical aspect of the way I hunt is flintknapping my own hunting heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
                        Been at this since 1958. Longer than some of you are old. Dad owned a Bear archery shop and I grew up shooting. Tried the compound thing once but wasn't for me. Never shot a bow with sights. About 10 years ago I decided to go primitive and made my bows out of Osage. Took up flint knapping and hunt with a self bow and stone points. Killed one deer with one of my stone points. Don't get any better. The most technical aspect of the way I hunt is flintknapping my own hunting heads.
                        That’s awesome. Do you also hunt in a loincloth made from the hide of one of your kills? I figure that would be unable to be one-upped.

Comment

Not so much the technical stuff, but being a machinist I liked making my own stuff. Sights, stabilizers, peep sights, scopes for 3-D and even made my own arrow inserts so they actually fit the shafts and broadheads. I just like making things.

Comment

Do you guys take your truck to the dealership to change the air filter and put in windshield wiper fluid ? Lol.

I like to understand my equipment in and out, wether that be my bow, boat, or motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              x3

I started with no sights. Shot a 1989 compound (bear I think) with no sights and the little flipper rest.

Upgraded a few times since but never learned how to tinker, tune etc.
                              I started the same way Im still shooting my Mathews2001 model bow

Comment

Trad bows yeah, I like working out arrow set ups and messing with it. Compound bows nope. Back in the day when one could use a ratchet strap to change cables and strings in a pinch I could "tinker" some. But it's like modern cards. Safer to pay a professional other than adjusting a rest or peep to get arrows shooting broadheads and field points together. I spend the money on a good bow and good accessories at CCR then let the pros do their thing. Has worked for me the last few years.
                                But I'd rather shoot a longbow anyway.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by DRT; 09-21-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X