Deer population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer population

Guys I hunt in Childress and I am looking for any info on deer population. I am looking for white tail and mule deer. We are having a lease meeting to discuss rules amd clarify a few things and several people want to shoot a mule and white tail trophy every year. With 6 hunters on 1,000 acres I don’t think it is a good idea though. I could be wrong. So any reports or info would be great.

The game warden probably has a lot of good insight since he drives and see a lot of that country. Maybe get everyone together to sit in stands for a weekend to do a little survey as a group and I doubt very seriously 6 and 6 is anywhere near possible in reality. But, they are being charged 4-6k a year they might have had that expectation when they paid the money

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      The game warden probably has a lot of good insight since he drives and see a lot of that country. Maybe get everyone together to sit in stands for a weekend to do a little survey as a group and I doubt very seriously 6 and 6 is anywhere near possible in reality. But, they are being charged 4-6k a year they might have had that expectation when they paid the money
      This

Comment

You have to take into account the Covid deaths too

Comment

Don’t make too many rules to kill all the fun if you don’t own the land. Go enjoy the hunt and sitting around the campfire.
          Chances are everybody won’t see a mature W/T and mule deer buck. But if one walks out on you, it would suck to not be able to shoot it because you wanted the rule.

Go hunt and have fun!

Comment

6 trophies off 1000 acres is to many in my opinion, much less 12. We hunt 1100 acres and have only shot two trophies in 5 years. We consider trophy bucks 6 years or older scoring over 145”. Only 5 total bucks taken the entire 5 years.. But you may have better genetics and a much higher density than us.

Comment

Killing 6 Mule deer bucks on 1000 acres anywhere MD inhabit is insanity unless you're trying to get rid of the entire herd. If I were you I'd suggest 1 trophy either species per year, even then thats still too many. I would assume about everyone on the lease would like to be able to hunt and have the opportunity at a trophy buck next year as well?

Comment

Willing to bet there are leases with 12 people on 1000 acres somewhere in the state and odds are that it's rare for all 12 to shoot a trophy buck in a season.

Also assuming that there are large ranches surrounding yours if you're in Childress. If you pay the money for a lease with mulies and whitetail you should be able to shoot both or get a refund.

Comment

Y’all are trying to take WAY to many deer. 6 guys on 1000 acres in Childress is nuts!

Comment

I guess it depends on what your definition of a trophy is. On that acreage I’d expect ONE trophy (by my definition) every 3-5 years. Maybe. And that’s a total of ONE. For sure not one per hunter. For double sure not one per hunter per year. And that’s for whitetail. Maybe fewer for mule deer.

Comment

Are the other hunters hunting for trophy deer or just enjoying deer hunting. Answer that and you have your answer.

Comment

Set an age limit. 5.5 plus. There will not be 6 & 6 of those. 6 guys in that area, I’m sure to help bring cost down, but also to have expectations you may not get something every year. All about your group.

Comment

Can you tell us the location so we dont lease next to you? That is way too many unless you are maybe hunting 1000 acres of irrigated alfalfa.

Comment

Two different species if you have enough mule deer go ahead but I would make a age limit 5.5 at least on each species. If you do that yall want kill 6 of each I wouldn’t think.

Comment

Trying to hunt 6 guys on 1000 acres in Childress county is probably not setting up the group for success - I would suggest you set some strict harvest rules on buck age. If not - I think your group could easily shoot your place out.

A good rule of thumb is to not shoot more than 20% of your total buck herd annually in a low fence environment.

Yall should do a few surveys and determine your total deer numbers. A deer to 30-40/acres wouldn't surprise me - but totally depends.

Comment

Working...
                              X