Angus per pound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
    I can give you a super deal on a wild cattle hunt. Crazy ***** Limousine, bad fence. Need them gone. Seriously, THEY BE WILD. Be better in cold weather for processing......

One of the happiest days of my life was watching the trailer pull off with the last of those crazy bastages we had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I like this thread.

The video link was interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackdirtCowboy View Post
        Yeah that’s what I’m talking about as well. Butchered and vacuum packed around $4-5 a pound. $8.50 is way too high.

So here is the last breakdown on a steer I sold.

Live weight 1400 @ 1.40 = $1960
        Slaughter fee = $85
        63% dressing percentage = 882 pound hanging weight
        Processing @ $0.85 per pound = $749.70

80% yield = 705.6 pounds of take home product.
        Total cost = 2794.70
        Final cost = $3.96 per pound.

You cannot buy all that for that cheap at the grocery store. You can’t even buy hamburger meat that cheap at the grocery store. We usually get a third of ours in hamburger. You can get a s little or as much hamburger as you want depending on the way you have the carcass cut. If you are hell bent on paying $8.50 a pound for it, I’ll sell you one, have it butchered, and deliver it to you.

Keep in mind, this isn’t a “money making” part of my operation. I feed out the unmarketable steers that I can’t sell to the feedlots. Something that broke a leg, missing a tail, crooked back, blind, that sort of thing. So I don’t always have a steady supply. But I keep them on feed until they are finished. Generally, the cattle I butcher will grade mid to high choice with a few primes sprinkled in. Now, if I could just figure out how to produce a steer that all rib eyes and t bones…

Our numbers are way lower than that..

1400 lbs dressed to 882. Im with you there, but on a 882 carcass, you will NEVER See 80% yield..

I’m happy with 60-65%

So 882 X .6 = 529 lbs

We are paying $1/lb for basic processing, if you wanted stew meat, tenderized cutlets and a few other things, they are $.30/lb extra. I average about 1.15/lb with the slaughter fees included.

So
        1.40x1400 = 1960
        1.15x 882 = 1014.3
        Yields 529 lbs

$2974 plus gas to slaughter and gas to pick up and deliver to the customer. Let’s say I’m $3200 in on 529lbs.
        That’s $6/lb right there without any time factored in.

If your wanting custom fed, know where your stuff has been kind of meat. $8.50 isn’t too far off in todays market. Your paying for quality beef, but your also paying for peace of mind and to support local business..

As independent producers we will never get close to touching the box beef in price, but we will dang sure be able to show you where that calf has been it’s while life, show you it’s health record, tell why it’s so dang tender and how It ended up on your plate. It’ll also feed a local ranchers family along the way..

Just my .02

I won’t lie, even I buy a steak every now and again when those ribeyes hit 5.96/lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post

1400 lbs dressed to 882. Im with you there, but on a 882 carcass, you will NEVER See 80% yield..

I’m happy with 60-65%

So 882 X .6 = 529 lbs

We are paying $1/lb for basic processing, if you wanted stew meat, tenderized cutlets and a few other things, they are $.30/lb extra. I average about 1.15/lb with the slaughter fees included.

So
          1.40x1400 = 1960
          1.15x 882 = 1014.3
          Yields 529 lbs

$2974 plus gas to slaughter and gas to pick up and deliver to the customer. Let’s say I’m $3200 in on 529lbs.

If your wanting custom fed, know where your stuff has been kind of meat. $8.50 isn’t too far off in todays market. Your paying for quality beef, but your also paying for peace of mind and to support local business..

As independent producers we will never get close to touching the box beef in price, but we will dang sure be able to show you where that calf has been it’s while life, show you it’s health record, tell why it’s so dang tender and how It ended up on your plate. It’ll also feed a local ranchers family along the way..

Just my .02

I won’t lie, even I buy a steak every now and again when those ribeyes hit 5.96/lb.

If you’re only getting 529 pounds of meat from a 1400 pound steer, you need to find a new butcher. Too much is walking out the back door or going out in the trim barrels. You can figure 50% of live weight as take home meat, give or take. Of course, this varies on how you have it cut, and if you bone out all the steaks or not. But I’ve been doing this all my life, and with how we cut our carcasses, my numbers are spot on.

Comment

The USDA puts out a monthly report of grass fed beef prices. Last one I saw was a whole carcass cost 5.75-8.50 per pound direct to customer.
            Last edited by Team Porkchop; 08-13-2022, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackdirtCowboy View Post
              If you’re only getting 529 pounds of meat from a 1400 pound steer, you need to find a new butcher. Too much is walking out the back door or going out in the trim barrels. You can figure 50% of live weight as take home meat, give or take. Of course, this varies on how you have it cut, and if you bone out all the steaks or not. But I’ve been doing this all my life, and with how we cut our carcasses, my numbers are spot on.

Your not wrong that cut choices matter. But be honest, how many folks get a bone in rib-eye in the year 2022?? Or T bones over new york strips? Are you counting marrow bones, kidney fat and the offals in your yield?

Maybe I need or come up and spend a day processing with y’all. If you can get me and extra 200lbs per calf, I’m all about it…

Comment

I get bone in ribeyes. I also get t-bones. Lol. I don’t bone anything out. Cuts cooked with the bone in just taste better. But no, I’m not counting offal, kidney fat, or marrow bones. I do keep the liver and ox tail. Occasionally I’ll keep a tongue or heart.

And you are correct, if you’re boning everything out, take home meat will be closer to 40% of live weight. I absolutely hate it when someone asks me if they buy a steer, how much meat will they get. It really does depend. There’s just too many variables to give them a precise answer. And as you can see, it can swing the amount by 150 pounds easily.
                Last edited by BlackdirtCowboy; 08-13-2022, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info y’all. I’ll let you know what he says when I ask him to help me understand why his prices are higher than the average.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                    Dang. Now I need to figure out how to have the conversation with my friend who’s quoting 8.50.

I would just say that I changed my mind and not worry about it. Maybe he has gotten that price before and good for him. It`s a free market. When I managed a meat market, I always said that my worst customer was an "Educated Consumer". Now I have become that person.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post

I’m happy with 60-65%

So 882 X .6 = 529 lbs

So
                      1.40x1400 = 1960
                      1.15x 882 = 1014.3
                      Yields 529 lbs

Just my .02

Good insight to consider.

Comment

$5.25/lb. hanging weight is what I've been quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                          $5.25/lb. hanging weight is what I've been quoted.
                          This is about right in SETX. I have been charging $4.00 hanging weight on the steer and the buyer also pays the $1.25 lb for processing. This will likely go up next year due to feed and fuel costs.

Comment

I just got back 2 steers your welcome to come to my place pic out what you want . I have a 55 gal drum full of hamburger meat and 2 in thick T bones all grass feed born here on my place.

Comment

I paid 75 dollar kill fee and .85 to process

Comment

I just picked up a calf I had butchered last Wed. Live weight was 1225#, I got 465# of shrink wrapped meat....$100.00 kill fee, $!.25 per pound for vacuum packing....J&S Processing in Fairfield.....I'm happy!

Comment

Working...
                                X