Wilbur Smith Books-Courtney Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilbur Smith Books-Courtney Family

Ok, I am hooked on this series. A completely fantastic set of books with but a few gaps. I am following the chronological order of the family right now but am having a hard time going from Assegai to War Cry to The Burning Shore all before reading When a Sparrow Falls (I have already read this one). I am currently reading War Cry but am conflicted if I should be reading The Burning Shore First. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what you said...but I shore like the way that you said it.

True chronological order:

Birds of Prey 1660s (Third series)
    Golden Lion 1670s
    Monsoon 1690s (Third series)
    The Tiger's Prey 1700s
    Blue Horizon 1730s (Third series)
    Ghost Fire 1754
    When the Lion Feeds 1860s-1890s (First Series)
    Triumph of the Sun 1880s (Third series)
    King of Kings 1887
    The Sound of Thunder 1899-1906 (First Series)
    Assegai 1906-1918 (Third series)
    The Burning Shore 1917-1920 (follows a character from The Sound of Thunder)
    War Cry 1918-1939 (follows Assegai)
    A Sparrow Falls 1918-1925 (First Series)
    Power of the Sword 1931-1948 (Second series)
    Courtney's War 1939 (follows War Cry)
    Rage 1950s and 1960s (Second series)
    Golden Fox 1969-1979 (Second series)
    A Time To Die 1987 (Second series)
    Last edited by Chew; 05-05-2022, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I've read every one of them and several more than once. While I understand your thinking I would say read them however you want, while it's fun to follow the order it doesn't really matter as you will soon see they loop back and overlap several times.

Good choice reading this series, fantastic! As you wrap up move to the Egyptian series as it is fantastic as well!

ac

Comment

Can one of you give a synopsis of the subject matter ? I mean a general idea. Thanks !

Comment

One of my favorite authors! He recently passed away, as well. I've read them all and have collected his full set of first editions.
          DryCreek- it's about the settling of Africa, some based in Ancient Egypt and some on the high seas. Lots of hunting/adventure.
          His description of a lion hunt in A Time to Die is epic.

Comment

Thanks for the advice gents and Drycreek, once you get started with the series, its hard to stop listening. My only wish is that the books were more G/PG rated so my kids could listen, lol. Wilbur Smith was a graphic writer who left hardly anything to the imagination.

Comment

My favorite author. If you like hunting (especially Africa), you must try these books.

I would read them in whatever order you get them. That is how I have done it over the years.

My absolute favorite is When the Lion Feeds. Wish they would turn it into a TV series.

Comment

Working...
              X