Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TPWD's Alan Cain on Opening Gun Seasons In Collin, Grayson, Dallas and Rockwall Count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well arent you the little narcissist. I don't hunt the area either other than when drawn for Hagerman which will be never now that the state controls the draw but its nice to see 200 inch low fence coming out of north texas that close to DFW. You can kiss that goodbye if these regs change.

Comment

I think 200" free ranging deer would be awesome too.

I can't get behind wanting the state/government to regulate stuff beyond what they should.

TP&W is tasked with setting bag limits and helping ensure we have a hunt-able population of game animals.

So recognize what y'all are asking the state to do goes beyond deer hunting. Should the state start regulating everything because a few people want it that way? No! Slippery slope.

Comment

Grayson County is the jewel of bow hunting since the entire county is bow only. The Hagerman threads alone on this site are always some of the best of the year.

It blows my mind that this many people on a bow hunting site would want the county opened up to gun hunting. There are 254 counties in Texas and only a handful that are bow only. Go gun hunt one of the many other gun counties in Texas. The lower killing percentage of bow hunting is why we have the quality of deer we have in these bow only counties. You can already hunt the entire gun season just with bow or crossbow only.

I love having a handful of bow only counties in Texas that we have a chance of killing a monster. I don’t understand as a bow hunter how you would not want this!
        Last edited by Killer; 02-18-2022, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          I think 200" free ranging deer would be awesome too.

I can't get behind wanting the state/government to regulate stuff beyond what they should.

TP&W is tasked with setting bag limits and helping ensure we have a hunt-able population of game animals.

So recognize what y'all are asking the state to do goes beyond deer hunting. Should the state start regulating everything because a few people want it that way? No! Slippery slope.
          Sounds to me like a few people in Collin and Grayson county want a rifle season, at least thats how it turned out in the last scoping meeting. The majority at the meeting very much wanted to keep the county archery only and were very passionate about it, guess we will see how the meeting turns out this time...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            Sounds to me like a few people in Collin and Grayson county want a rifle season, at least thats how it turned out in the last scoping meeting. The majority at the meeting very much wanted to keep the county archery only and were very passionate about it, guess we will see how the meeting turns out this time...
            Just wait until you hear the full story.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Correct! Put a rifle season in theses counties and that opportunity will disappear in some areas I’m betting!

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                Just wait until you hear the full story.
                Why don’t you tell us then instead of always being so vague? Lol. Is it a big secret?

I really can’t see these going away from bow hunting only with the backlash they are getting

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Why don’t you tell us then instead of always being so vague? Lol. Is it a big secret?

I really can’t see these going away from bow hunting only with the backlash they are getting

Tpwd doesn’t care about backlash. They have their scoping meetings just following no a procedure. They already have their minds made up.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    Man this is going to suck if TPWD changes this!!

They tried this several years ago. I was at the meeting they had in Grayson County. Same stuff different day. A few vocal minority that wanted to go beyond archery for deer. Most did not. TPWD backed down. Not sure how it would go now but getting the politicians involved didn't hurt back then.

Comment

I guess if it passes the people that want to hunt bow only can high fence their property and still let the bucks reach maturity before shooting them. I don't understand how a safety issue keeps coming up if people already hog hunt with guns there now

Comment

TPWD's Alan Cain on Opening Gun Seasons In Collin, Grayson, Dallas and Rockwall Count

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                        I guess if it passes the people that want to hunt bow only can high fence their property and still let the bucks reach maturity before shooting them. I don't understand how a safety issue keeps coming up if people already hog hunt with guns there now

It’s the numbers that would hunt deer with guns. Infinitely more than hogs. It’ll be Fannin county 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                          It’s the numbers that would hunt deer with guns. Infinitely more than hogs. It’ll be Fannin county 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Nail…..meet hammer

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                            Definitely sounds like the interest of a few over the interest of most. Can they not pass regulation for some sort of special rule for these counties for HF MLD properties so as not to hurt the LF hunting quality? That guy did not like when cable brought up that scenario about having to pay state civil restitution on a high fence deer, whats good for the goose TPW...
                            depends on how you look at it. gun hunters greatly outnumber bowhunters. many landowners would like to use and hunt their properties however they want. They could charge more to lease to gun hunters as well. I think this is more an issue of the few (bowhunters) not wanting to give up what they have, which I totally understand. That said, referring to the interests of bowhunters (the vast majority of whom are leasing) as "the interests of most" is a little out there. If I had a bow spot there I'd be ****** as well. But if I owned my own place there, I'd want to do what I want with it.
                            Without a doubt bowhunters will show up at these meetings and be the more vocal in the argument, but I don't at all see this change, when and if it comes, as only benefiting the interests of a few, even if it's being driven by high fence owners at this time.
                            Last edited by bullets13; 02-24-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I think Texas should take notes from Oklahoma when it comes to regulating and setting a deer season.

Comment

Originally posted by M.LUNA View Post
                                I think Texas should take notes from Oklahoma when it comes to regulating and setting a deer season.
                                North texas for sure, they want to have a longer season in south texas with the lower population and less land fragmentation so be it but N TX is changing rapidly

Comment

Working...
                                X