.338 Lapua vs .338 Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.338 Lapua vs .338 Edge

So I had recently started getting an intrest into some of the big long range guns. A couple of buddies shoot the Lapua and I recently met a guy who has the Edge. Performance wise I know they are very similar with some write ups giving the edge... well a slight edge in ballistics. The Lapua can be bought right off the shelf along with dies and ammo as well. This is the reasoning behind the couple of buddies justifying their lapuas. To where as the edge is a wildcat round and is custom all the way around. Dies must be custom made or modified along with brass typically from the 300 RUM. But I have read that the brass is cheaper and once you are set up to reload it's not such a hassle. Is there anyone here who has experience with these 2 rounds and what your thoughts are?

As you mentioned, both are very similar with the edge having the smaller bolt face requirement. The advantage is that you can run pretty much any standard magnum action and still be in that 338 Lapua performance window.

Comment

Ok so with the smaller bolt face... what long action calibers would work as a platform to build a .338 edge? Or which ones would be the best choice?

Comment

No experience with either but unless you have a place to shoot further than 1K neither is needed. There are plenty of other rounds that are more pleasant and economical to shoot that will be more than enough for 1k and a little farther.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
          No experience with either but unless you have a place to shoot further than 1K neither is needed. There are plenty of other rounds that are more pleasant and economical to shoot that will be more than enough for 1k and a little farther.
          He never said anything about being limited to 1,000 yards

Comment

its a moving target.

Comment

Do more research on brass. Lapua builds the best brass in the world. 338 Lapua brass will always be here and readily available from shooting factory ammo or buying new brass. I have no experience with Petersen 338LM brass but I’ve read that it’s good quality and a great option when you can’t find Lapua.

If I were in your shoes, I’d buy a $1000 Savage or $1500 Christensen in 338LM and start shooting. Learn LR shooting from your gun and reloading technique. If you fall in love with the discipline, upgrade after a year and perhaps build on a custom platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                Do more research on brass. Lapua builds the best brass in the world. 338 Lapua brass will always be here and readily available from shooting factory ammo or buying new brass. I have no experience with Petersen 338LM brass but I’ve read that it’s good quality and a great option when you can’t find Lapua.

If I were in your shoes, I’d buy a $1000 Savage or $1500 Christensen in 338LM and start shooting. Learn LR shooting from your gun and reloading technique. If you fall in love with the discipline, upgrade after a year and perhaps build on a custom platform.
                Yes I hear most your Lapua brass can be spent 10 to 12 times. Also like I mentioned $1,200 or so I believe can get you a savage 110 stealth in .338 lapua off the shelf. Plus all the dies and ammo can be readily found. I really like the simplicity of building an Edge but also a very important factor especially in todays conditions is availability. There are tons of lapua supplies. It's just hard to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by M.LUNA View Post
                  I really like the simplicity of building an Edge but also a very important factor especially in todays conditions is availability re-sale ability There are tons of lapua supplies. It's just hard to decide.
                  Another thing to consider ... if you ever decide to sell the rifle, the LM will be much easier to move than the Edge.

Comment

I have a Sako TRG 42 in the Lapua that I could probably be talked out of. Do t know if they are even made anymore. Also have couple 100 pieces of new Lapua brass. Have lost the LR shooting bug.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X