Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the first time in my lifetime, I have a democrat congressman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a reminder that straight ticket voting has seen it's last election in ticket for now until someone changes the law again.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
      And how about the rookie elected for county judge?! WTH? It’s all about getting out the vote.
      Straight party/ticket voting got her elected. For those that live in Harris county, good luck in the next natural disaster.

For those that are going to be sued in harris county, good luck, there are a ton of buffoons that just got elected as judges.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Hunter View Post
        The sad reality is that if Texas ever turns anything other Red then the country is done in my opinion. Texas is the lead and most solid anchor the U.S. has as far as conservative values. If Texas does not stay red we it will be bad over all. There is more at stake than just Texas unfortunately. My .02
        I think this is a very good point and very true IMHO. Some disagree but I think immigration from other states and beyond our national borders has played a big part in this, as well as 50% of people in this country getting a hand out in some form or fashion from the government, whether it’s welfare, healthcare, etc. Another problem I seem to notice the older I get is that these huge metropolitan areas such as DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antone is that city folks have no clue or idea what life is like outside of their little bubble except what they see on CNN and their liberal policies or beliefs do not work for the average American outside of that little bubble. With that being said they have such huge numbers in those populated areas and can turn a state a different color just from 1 county. Which is exactly why our founding fathers put in place the electoral college, which I wouldn’t mind seeing put in place at the state level.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Everyone wants to blame liberals moving into the state, but I think you are overlooking the Millennials. They are now the largest voting group in Texas and the country. They are overwhelmingly liberal. One report I heard was 75% of Millennials are liberal. Nearly every Millennial I know is liberal - including kids from very conservative Texas families.

I am also inclined to think many of our new citizens from California are conservative that finally gave up on their state. Most people I've met from CA are solid conservative.
          While this may be true, some of the change is the overall political climate created by current parties and the extreme far left and right. People use to respect others views without name calling and general nastiness. Many long term middle of the road republicans aren’t comfortable with the “us against them” approach and have voted across the line. I see way too much division and very little search for common ground. I believe the close races show that folks are rethinking their position and looking for a new approach... I’d like to see a unified approach to immigration, taxes, budget and health care. I believe both sides have an opportunity to move forward in a positive manner, but they must debate and discuss with civility and activity work for a win win for the US citizens and not for their party or special interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            Everyone wants to blame liberals moving into the state, but I think you are overlooking the Millennials. They are now the largest voting group in Texas and the country. They are overwhelmingly liberal. One report I heard was 75% of Millennials are liberal. Nearly every Millennial I know is liberal - including kids from very conservative Texas families.

I am also inclined to think many of our new citizens from California are conservative that finally gave up on their state. Most people I've met from CA are solid conservative.
            I think there is a lot of truth here.....

seems lately, there are a bunch of candidates who are nothing but "better than the alternative", I don't think that is going to sway the future very well.

Comment

The disturbing thing is nothing was getting done and nothing will get done. That has not changed and change is needed. IMO, to a degree it is human nature to avoid conflict. I believe social media has heightened the severity of this issue. What I mean by that is before social media, if you expressed your opinion you generally put a filter on how you presented your opinion or stance because the other person was likely standing right in front of you and would hold you accountable. In turn, you and the other person were more likely to discuss before offending each other. Personal insults were less likely. Now, people can hide behind their screen. Spout off and run and hide or turn to insults if the other person(s) don't agree with them. So the divide has grown. No one works through their problem. No one listens to the other side of the argument.

I would also like to see a unified approach to immigration, taxes, budget and health care. All are broken to some extend. How great would it be to have a lock-in for our congressional leaders. Lock their butts in a room and do not let them leave until they come up with a plan that can be approved by a majority. Let their staffers bring them information, food, pillows and a blanket but other than that, sorry, you can't go anywhere. For as long as it takes. Force them to discuss the issues! Force them to compromise with each other! Or, you can live out your term inside a closed room. Can you imagine that dynamic?

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                While this may be true, some of the change is the overall political climate created by current parties and the extreme far left and right. People use to respect others views without name calling and general nastiness. Many long term middle of the road republicans aren’t comfortable with the “us against them” approach and have voted across the line. I see way too much division and very little search for common ground. I believe the close races show that folks are rethinking their position and looking for a new approach... I’d like to see a unified approach to immigration, taxes, budget and health care. I believe both sides have an opportunity to move forward in a positive manner, but they must debate and discuss with civility and activity work for a win win for the US citizens and not for their party or special interests.
                Thx for saving me all the typing!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by boomerball View Post
                  I think there is a lot of truth here.....

seems lately, there are a bunch of candidates who are nothing but "better than the alternative", I don't think that is going to sway the future very well.
                  Yessir.....choose the best out of the two evils is not the game I'm willing to play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    Yessir.....choose the best out of the two evils is not the game I'm willing to play.
                    But we the voters (one could argue non-voters as well) select the two evils via primaries. What’s the alternative once that is done?

Comment

I think you guys need to be more optimistic. Repubs got the Governor in Ohio and Florida. No repub President has ever won without having Ohio. That could be very promising moving forward. We also control the Senate and can potentially make the courts more conservative at every level. Not mention that this is a very normal trend for the sitting President to lose the House during midterms and even then it wasn't a "blue wave" like some had predicted. This was a very normal outcome.

The one thing I can't figure out though is why did Greg Abbott win by nearly 20 points but the Senate race was so close? Can someone explain that to me? That should raise a red flag for whatever the reason may be.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                        I think you guys need to be more optimistic. Repubs got the Governor in Ohio and Florida. No repub President has ever won without having Ohio. That could be very promising moving forward. We also control the Senate and can potentially make the courts more conservative at every level. Not mention that this is a very normal trend for the sitting President to lose the House during midterms and even then it wasn't a "blue wave" like some had predicted. This was a very normal outcome.

The one thing I can't figure out though is why did Greg Abbott win by nearly 20 points but the Senate race was so close? Can someone explain that to me? That should raise a red flag for whatever the reason may be.
                        I think it has to be that lots of people cast their vote for Abbott but then voted for Beto. That would include republicans who got swept-up in Beto-mania (or just hate Cruz) and independents and moderate Dems who liked Beto but who are OK with Abbott over Lupe.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post

My opinion, Beto is likable, and campaigned heavily on Hulu and youtube, where most millennial's watch TV. Cruz was lazy, didn't campaign, and even when he did, he sounded like his tired old robotic self. Cruz also sent me more text messages than the Beto people, 3 to 1. The Beto texts were well worded, and the people were friendly. The Cruz texts were written like a typical politician, and response time was hours, not minutes, with a very unfriendly response of "go look at me website if you want more information". Why even reach out if you are just going to tell me that?!

On policy, Cruz is good, except for public lands. But that doesn't matter if he is going to walk around like a robot and half *** his millennial outreach. And like it or not, that is key these days.

Comment

Working...
                          X