Custom revolver question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom revolver question...

Has anyone ever had a custom revolver built and who built yours? I have a pretty cool idea for a one. I just have to save my money until I can get exactly what I'm thinking of.

Ive talked to Bayside Custom Gunworks he was swamped at the time and i spent my money on something else. He is on Facebook also and will post lots of picts of his work. Gary Reeder for single action guns. What are you wanting to do that may point you to a particular smith.

Comment

Don’t forget Hamilton Bowen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

single or double action? Whats your budget? Gemini Customs look pretty cool, Reeder, Bowen, Turnbull are a few come to mind.
        Their turn around times will give you PLENTY of time to save up !!!

There is a Reeder Black Widow .44 Mag single action for bid on Gunbroker. I dropped out at $800 bid

Comment

I really don't know if what I'm wanting to do is possible but I assume so. I'd like to get one chambered in a smaller centerfire rifle cartridge. I haven't really decided on the cartridge yet but I know it'll be a centerfire rifle cartridge for sure.

Do they pretty much have a standard engraving they put on revolvers or if I draw something can they put it on there?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
            single or double action? Whats your budget? Gemini Customs look pretty cool, Reeder, Bowen, Turnbull are a few come to mind.
            Their turn around times will give you PLENTY of time to save up !!!

There is a Reeder Black Widow .44 Mag single action for bid on Gunbroker. I dropped out at $800 bid
            I'm thinking I'll probably go single action. Something like a Ruger Single-Six or Ruger Blackhawk frame. A couple thousand dollars or so at least would be my budget.

Comment

Have you looked at the 460 s&w
              I've seen them kill pronghorn way out there

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                Have you looked at the 460 s&w
                I've seen them kill pronghorn way out there
                I varmint hunt a lot so I figured a small cartridge would probably get a lot more use. I think it'd be kinda neat to have a flat shootin pistol for plinking prairie dogs and taking some coyotes and stuff with it.

Comment

A potential problem you're going to run into is case setback. Bottlenecked cartridges tend to set back and lock up revolver cylinders. The few high intensity bottle neck cartridges tried were less than stellar performers, S&W did produce the .22 Jet which was a .357 case necked to .22. It only lasted a few years.

Ruger tried the .256 Winchester, a .357 Case necked down to .257. In tests it did not function properly in a revolver so they introduced it in the Hawkeye, which was a single shot based on the Blackhawk, but had a swing-out breech in place of the cylinder.

Comment

You might consider just getting a Freedom Arms to begin with. Order the options you want and then have someone make a set of custom grips.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                      A potential problem you're going to run into is case setback. Bottlenecked cartridges tend to set back and lock up revolver cylinders. The few high intensity bottle neck cartridges tried were less than stellar performers, S&W did produce the .22 Jet which was a .357 case necked to .22. It only lasted a few years.

Ruger tried the .256 Winchester, a .357 Case necked down to .257. In tests it did not function properly in a revolver so they introduced it in the Hawkeye, which was a single shot based on the Blackhawk, but had a swing-out breech in place of the cylinder.
                      This is why they don’t do them. You will have setback. About the closest you can get is the S&W model 53 .22 jet. Keep the cylinders squeaky clean and hope for the best. S&W also made a revolver in 17 hmr. I have one but never have gotten around to shooting it. It’s a model 647 IIRC.

Comment

I would get with magnum research. Idk why they couldnt build a 22-250 or something off their BFR frame.

They make a 30-30 and 45-70. So if anyone has the platform for it it would be them.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          This is why they don’t do them. You will have setback. About the closest you can get is the S&W model 53 .22 jet. Keep the cylinders squeaky clean and hope for the best. S&W also made a revolver in 17 hmr. I have one but never have gotten around to shooting it. It’s a model 647 IIRC.
                          Seems like a 22 hornet would be a good option? or even a 220swift something with less of a prominent shoulder. I know this is a common issue re loaders that have messed with 44-40 have more than likely run across this issue before i know i have when i started playing with the 44-40.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post

Oh ok I wasn't aware of that. I noticed on Reeds Custom Guns he has 22 Hornet,218 Bee and a few others as an option so I figured it would work but I haven't read or seen any reviews over any of those cartridges in his guns either.

But then again those cartridges wouldn't have as much of a shoulder on them as some others so they may work just fine.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 04-14-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                              Oh ok I wasn't aware of that. I noticed on Reeds Custom Guns he has 22 Hornet,218 Bee and a few others as an option so I figured it would work but I haven't read or seen any reviews over any of those cartridges in his guns either.

But then again those cartridges wouldn't have as much of a shoulder on them as some others so they may work just fine.
                              I have a custom revolver in 218 Bee, it’s a fairly accurate revolver but is limited to range and use.

Perhaps a Thompson Contender would be a better option for you. I also understand the custom revolver sentiment as well and I have three of them that I had built by Gary Reeder. I also own a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt that Hamilton Bowen tuned for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X