Need welding advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need welding advice

I'm trying to weld a piece of galvanized 1-3/4" OD tubing (I think it's thin wall conduit) to a piece of a 1/4"+- leaf spring for a feeder leg support. I've tried several different amperage settings and keep burning up the tubing. Is there a way to do this with what I have or do I need to just source a piece of 1-1/2" sch40 (or sch80) pipe? I'm using a Lincoln AC-225 and 6011 rods. Thanks in advance.

dont breath the smoke get your puddle started on teh leaf spring and roll it into the tubing

Comment

put your heat to the thickest metal and roll it to the thinner metal and make sure you grind some of the galvanized pipe where it touches the plate

Comment

You should be able to weld that. I’d try and get all the galvanize off the pipe before welding and try to keep as much heat on the thicker material. But you should be good running it on 75 but might have to turn it down to 60

Comment

Take a wire wheel to the galvanized pipe and see if that helps with your welding. Others above have great advice as well.

Comment

direct your rod more towards the thicker plate and whip it into the thinner metal. Grind the galvanizing off a little first will help also. Also a leaf spring is hardened steel and is not great to weld on. The weld can crack out very easily. It is not recommended to weld for stuctural use. The welder you have will do the work though at around 65 amps with a 1/8 6011.

Comment

I've ground the edges of the pipe and the face of the plate to where both are reasonably clean surfaces and mate well. When I've turned the amperage down to where it won't blow through the tubing I get penetration issues with the plate. I'll try starting at the plate, moving slower, and blending into the tubing this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by T-REX View Post
                direct your rod more towards the thicker plate and whip it into the thinner metal. Grind the galvanizing off a little first will help also. Also a leaf spring is hardened steel and is not great to weld on. The weld can crack out very easily. It is not recommended to weld for stuctural use. The welder you have will do the work though at around 65 amps with a 1/8 6011.
                Sounds like I could have picked way better components than what I'm using, but that's what I had. It's only a 200# camp feeder, so it doesn't have to be bullet-proof. I originally welded it together with a Lincoln HD140 wire welder last year but tube/plate penetration wasn't great then either. Two of the supports have stayed together but we put one in a bind while moving it, and it snapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                  dont breath the smoke get your puddle started on teh leaf spring and roll it into the tubing
                  this

Comment

Braze it Clean up good and braze

Comment

That is a tough weld for a weekend warrior. I would get heavier legs or a heavier section that you could slid the EMT over.

Comment

try 6013 or 7014

Comment

PM sent

Comment

This!
                            Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                            Braze it Clean up good and braze

Comment

Scratch plans and start over. You already go 3 strikes against you!

Comment

Working...
                              X