Feeder Pen Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pen Question

Well, this is the first thread I have ever started so go easy on me!

I have a mental dilemma on whether to build or not to build a feeder pen on one of my spots. We have hunted in the presence of cows for the past 3 years and never had an issue. Well, now it appears they have destroyed my feeder, seriously bending one of the legs and ripping the motor and timer from my barrel. My question is, if I go this weekend and put a pen up does that give the deer enough time to get used to the new structure before season? I am thinking bout a circle, 6 panels (34" tall by 16ft long panels) and 12 t posts. If not I was given the advice from a fellow tbh'er to wrap the legs in barbed wire. Looking for advice from the Greenscreen! Thanks in advance.

I've put the same type of pen up one day and deer in it the next. Plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd say if you're on a budget use at least 8 panels if no budget go bigger

Comment

I think it should be enough time. just depends on how skiddish your deer are?

Comment

Plenty of time. Each place is unique. Deer on one place will jump 5 foot panels and it doesn't phase them. Another they will not go over 2 foot high panels. If you can suspend the panels 18" off the ground, probably low enough to keep the cattle away and the deer have a huge clearance on the bottom. If the cattle are hungry, they will tear down anything for access.

Comment

Deer are not very skiddish, not a heavy hunted area. I am leaning toward putting it up. I would like to do 8 panels but am worried about space. I am sort of tucked in a corner of the property, it is a weird little set up. Thank you.

Comment

Deer will be used to it the next day or with in hours of installation

Comment

Originally posted by Stuball View Post
                Deer are not very skiddish, not a heavy hunted area. I am leaning toward putting it up. I would like to do 8 panels but am worried about space. I am sort of tucked in a corner of the property, it is a weird little set up. Thank you.
                Try connecting it to the existing fence if the lad owners do not mind. and it is not to much of a hassle.

Comment

I find that the bigger the pen the better this is so the deer do not feel so confined in a tight space another plus to a larger pen of 10 to 12 panels is that all the corn sling out falls inside the pen and none if any outside the pen to encourage hogs to be coming around nothing to eat they won't come around.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty5 View Post
                    I find that the bigger the pen the better this is so the deer do not feel so confined in a tight space another plus to a larger pen of 10 to 12 panels is that all the corn sling out falls inside the pen and none if any outside the pen to encourage hogs to be coming around nothing to eat they won't come around.
                    To fix that I plan on making an 8Ft section I can take out when out of deer season. that way I can still have the hogs come in.

Put something sweet out and it wont take long for them to find it trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by josh3 View Post
                      I'd say if you're on a budget use at least 8 panels if no budget go bigger
                      Yep....minimum 8 panels.....round, not square

Comment

Mine are 12 panel round pens. Deer in both within a couple of days...

Comment

heck mine didn't wait till I was done building....

Comment

heck mine didn't wait till I was done building......
                            Attached Files

Comment

Like others have said, go with at least 12 panels. Make it as big as you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X