Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150 no radio display when headlights on

2004 f150

Did some research online and found plenty of people with the same problem but no solutions.

I leave my headlight switch in the auto position. A while back i thought my radio display had gone out but later realized it would come on if i turned the headlights off or to a position besides auto. Soon after that the battery was dead every time i got in it if i had not driven it within a day.

Plugged the charger in tonight and the headlights would not go off (no key in ignition) regardless of switch position. I had to manipulate the high/low beam switch on the column to get them to go off. Now they will come on if i pull the high/ low beam switch towards rear of truck even when main switch is off. They dont stay on if i release it though. This is with charger charging.

Ideas? Bad ground? Bad switch? I was thinking it was the headlight switch originally but now leaning towards the high beam switch. Both are around $50 to replace. But i wouldn't think a bad switch would affect the radio display.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bad batteries cause 2004-2009 F150s to do weird things.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
      Bad batteries cause 2004-2009 F150s to do weird things.
      hmmmm...I really had not considered the battery. I was thinking that a bad connection or something was draining the battery. But a bad battery would explain why it keeps going dead if not driven within a day. It is certainly worth having it tested. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Headlights are supposed to come on when you pull the lever

Flash to pass

I would check the switch that you use to turn lights on/auto/off to start with

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          Headlights are supposed to come on when you pull the lever

Flash to pass

I would check the switch that you use to turn lights on/auto/off to start with
          Even with lights off and no key?

Comment

My son has a 2004 that did something very similar. He didn't have the headlight related issue but his radio display would not work and the battery would be dead. The mechanic disconnected the radio and all was well. My son had a new head unit put in and has had no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by twostepct View Post
              My son has a 2004 that did something very similar. He didn't have the headlight related issue but his radio display would not work and the battery would be dead. The mechanic disconnected the radio and all was well. My son had a new head unit put in and has had no problems.
              I thought unplugging the radio and seeing if it fixed the battery issue was a decent idea. You confirmed it.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                I thought unplugging the radio and seeing if it fixed the battery issue was a decent idea. You confirmed it.

Good deal, I hope it helps.

Comment

hmmm..... I have had "check charging system" on for the last year or two. dealership couldn't figure it out (looked for a while and finally just put in new battery ... didn't fix it). maybe I'll try unplugging radio just to see

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                    Even with lights off and no key?

99% sure it will light up without key on

100% sure lights do not have to be on

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      99% sure it will light up without key on

100% sure lights do not have to be on
                      Learn something new everyday. At least i can cross that off the list of problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X