Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 12:27 AM   #1
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Anyone regret getting an electric car?

Hopefully I wonít regret it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:29 AM   #2
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rogers TX
Hunt In: Bell County, Limpopo South Africa
Default

You could not pay me to own one. They are not green like they say.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:38 AM   #3
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point
 
Tx.Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southside of Richland Chambers
Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines
Default

If I got one, Iíd charge it with my generator so I donít have to pay those steep electric prices.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:46 AM   #4
Tom
Ten Point
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa
Default

I am going to get a golf cart at work. Wont regret it as our new building is a few hundred yards from our calibration lab and don't want to walk.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:52 AM   #5
Big Lee
Ten Point
 
Big Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Not one bit. Has zero to do with going green. The lack of regular maintenance is a plus. It I'd always on "full" (if you choose) Makes those who want "freedom" angry. List goes on. Lol
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #6
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Anyone regret getting an electric car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Not one bit. Has zero to do with going green. The lack of regular maintenance is a plus. It I'd always on "full" (if you choose) Makes those who want "freedom" angry. List goes on. Lol

Just spent $1800 yesterday new spark plugs, belts, coils, and hoses on a 2013 Infiniti G37.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Black Ice; 12-03-2022 at 01:20 AM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:16 AM   #7
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

They're not for everyone. Mine suits my needs perfectly. No complaints so far after 12K miles.
I drive mine to and from work, 100 mi roundtrip 5-6 days a week and occasional trips to town and back (usually 30ish mi or so). Haven't used public charging yet and don't plan to. For my needs, I haven't found a downside yet...it is still relatively early tho.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:40 AM   #8
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
They're not for everyone. Mine suits my needs perfectly. No complaints so far after 12K miles.
I drive mine to and from work, 100 mi roundtrip 5-6 days a week and occasional trips to town and back (usually 30ish mi or so). Haven't used public charging yet and don't plan to. For my needs, I haven't found a downside yet...it is still relatively early tho.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Yeah Iíve got two other gas vehicles with a combined 15k miles on them. Iím replacing a work car with 177k miles on it.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #9
dbaio1
Pope & Young
 
dbaio1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Humble, TX (Atascocita)
Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area
Default

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/matth...member_desktop

Hope this works.

Good luck .
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 06:52 AM   #10
warrington
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Heath, TX
Hunt In: Abilene
Default

Oh Lordy. This is like bringing up high fence deer hunting
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 07:29 AM   #11
glen
Pope & Young
 
glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Temporary transient
Hunt In: anywhere
Default

I know multiple folks with them. The ones that use it as a commuter car and charge only at home seem to really like them. Those that try and travel and drive them on trips not so much. I think the US is still 10-15 years away. Gotta find power. Nuclear- hydrogen- something other than these “green” options we are focused on
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #12
dbaio1
Pope & Young
 
dbaio1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Humble, TX (Atascocita)
Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I know multiple folks with them. The ones that use it as a commuter car and charge only at home seem to really like them. Those that try and travel and drive them on trips not so much. I think the US is still 10-15 years away. Gotta find power. Nuclear- hydrogen- something other than these ďgreenĒ options we are focused on
Questions I have.
What's the truth on the supply of lithium and cobalt and other minerals?
How green is mining for those?
Electric generation capacity to support the mandates?
Truth about the Electric grid and infrastructure handling the mandates?
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #13
Sackett
Pope & Young
 
Sackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Just spent $1800 yesterday new spark plugs, belts, coils, and hoses on a 2013 Infiniti G37.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thatís pocket change and if thatís the only major repair on a almost 10 year old vehicle, thatís great. Wait until you need/must replace the battery on a electric vehicle. A friend who has a 2012 Tesla Model S had to replace his battery last year. $14,000 for the base battery and was offered the extended range battery for $20k.

Having said that, I can see them being a great option for those commuting less than 100 miles/day with the fundamental understanding that their not ďGreenĒ modes of transportation.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #14
ken800
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Lampasas
Default

I have a hybrid electric with a 50ish mile range and plug in at work. With 35K miles on it now, only about 2000 are gas as I almost never run out. I charge only at home each night and with solar, I'm "free and clean" other than when the ICE kicks in and the ICE maintenance which is a VERY long interval...

That said, I had a new all-electric on order and cancelled. Contrary to everyone's belief, EVs are not ready for prime time. Until solar is on every roof and it's more than 20% efficient, EV is still very dirty and ridiculously expensive. You are only pushing the pollution upstream somewhere and the electric grid isn't even close to capable of providing everyone a charge.

From a cost perspective, the math won't work out in your favor if you are honest in your calculations especially if you pay to use charging stations. As others have mentioned the battery will eventually fail and when it does, $$$$ to replace unless there is some kind of miracle technology discovery.

I also believe that people are overlooking hydrogen fuel cell. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT going away.

Here is the list of companies releasing a HYDROGEN FUEL CELL SEMI within a year:

Toyota
Volvo
International
Hyundai
Kenworth
Hyzon
Nikloa
... And others

Refueling will take just moments. Just like diesel. Refueling stations will end up at every truck stop in America along all the major freeway interchanges. That means a rapidly growing network of places to refuel your car for any trip. Look at how the technology works and you'll find that the systems will provide a much more realistic alternative to petrol from both a performance and green perspective.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:09 AM   #15
El Paisano
Ten Point
 
El Paisano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Conway, AR and Grapeland, TX
Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas
Default

Not me. I am a vehicle fire investigator, and I sure don't want one. That should tell you something.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #16
TexasBob
Pope & Young
 
TexasBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Houston Area
Default

A friend has a Mercedes full electric. Apparently they have some package where you can charge for free at some locations. They try to use that 99% of the time. Their plan is to trade before that expires or it needs batteries. They love it for around town and love swapping cars so it works for them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #17
HeyMikey
Pope & Young
 
HeyMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brazoria County
Hunt In: Brazoria County
Default

I think a lot of folks are in for a rude awakening, but that's just my opinion.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:42 AM   #18
Trapper76
Ten Point
 
Trapper76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Here’s my question. How does it work out when it comes time to change the battery out and it costs more than the vehicle is worth? I get that you don’t have to buy gas, but electricity isn’t free. I’m not for or against Evs either way, I just don’t think they are as cost effective as people want to believe.
Trapper76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #19
rut-ro
Pope & Young
 
rut-ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sugar Land
Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla
Default

in 10 years you will see ads. EV for sale 3500. Needs new battery!. I feel if its a commuter car and you get 10-15 years out of the battery you did well. If you try and use it for travel you will not like it.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:53 AM   #20
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Thatís pocket change and if thatís the only major repair on a almost 10 year old vehicle, thatís great. Wait until you need/must replace the battery on a electric vehicle. A friend who has a 2012 Tesla Model S had to replace his battery last year. $14,000 for the base battery and was offered the extended range battery for $20k.

Having said that, I can see them being a great option for those commuting less than 100 miles/day with the fundamental understanding that their not ďGreenĒ modes of transportation.
That's what I was going to say. And infinity isn't exactly the cheapest car to maintain
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #21
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
in 10 years you will see ads. EV for sale 3500. Needs new battery!. I feel if its a commuter car and you get 10-15 years out of the battery you did well. If you try and use it for travel you will not like it.
They claim it saves money. Fuel. Oil changes. Etc.

You still have tires and those cars are heavy so theyíll wear out faster. Suspension. Etc. I can change a lot of oil and belts etc for what ONE battery change costs.

Iím biased. I run a natural gas plant
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #22
dosrobles
Ten Point
 
dosrobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Austin
Hunt In: Bertram
Default

I’m not for or against them, I just know I don’t want one. There was just an article (I forget where I saw it) that said an ev has to on the road for 60k miles before the carbon foot print starts to be better than a gas vehicle because of the manufacturing and the fact that all the parts for said ev get shipped on planes, trains, and automobiles.
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #23
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

I donít think most folks are going to admit their regrets.
There are 1 year old sxs and campers and boats in the classifieds all the time and even they would admit to regretting that purchase.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:17 AM   #24
Lynn21
Pope & Young
 
Lynn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mesquite,texas
Hunt In: Childress, Tx
Default

I’ve seen 60 or more Vehicle’s at Bucces at one time getting gas. If they go green, what’s the wait time gonna be at the charging stations with 60 or more there at one time? But you’ll see there over priced crap get even more expensive cause that’ll mean a ton more people will be inside spending their money while they wait….
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #25
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
Iíve seen 60 or more Vehicleís at Bucces at one time getting gas. If they go green, whatís the wait time gonna be at the charging stations with 60 or more there at one time? But youíll see there over priced crap get even more expensive cause thatíll mean a ton more people will be inside spending their money while they waitÖ.
Only communists donít like Bucees!
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #26
Big pig
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Blanket, TX
Hunt In: Brown Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800 View Post
I have a hybrid electric with a 50ish mile range and plug in at work. With 35K miles on it now, only about 2000 are gas as I almost never run out. I charge only at home each night and with solar, I'm "free and clean" other than when the ICE kicks in and the ICE maintenance which is a VERY long interval...

That said, I had a new all-electric on order and cancelled. Contrary to everyone's belief, EVs are not ready for prime time. Until solar is on every roof and it's more than 20% efficient, EV is still very dirty and ridiculously expensive. You are only pushing the pollution upstream somewhere and the electric grid isn't even close to capable of providing everyone a charge.

From a cost perspective, the math won't work out in your favor if you are honest in your calculations especially if you pay to use charging stations. As others have mentioned the battery will eventually fail and when it does, $$$$ to replace unless there is some kind of miracle technology discovery.

I also believe that people are overlooking hydrogen fuel cell. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT going away.

Here is the list of companies releasing a HYDROGEN FUEL CELL SEMI within a year:

Toyota
Volvo
International
Hyundai
Kenworth
Hyzon
Nikloa
... And others

Refueling will take just moments. Just like diesel. Refueling stations will end up at every truck stop in America along all the major freeway interchanges. That means a rapidly growing network of places to refuel your car for any trip. Look at how the technology works and you'll find that the systems will provide a much more realistic alternative to petrol from both a performance and green perspective.
Thank you for a clear and well stated opinion.
Mine was going to be rant !

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #27
nocam7
Spike
 
nocam7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
Oh Lordy. This is like bringing up high fence deer hunting

Oooh donít get me started daggumit!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nocam7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #28
dgilbert
Pope & Young
 
dgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Granbury
Hunt In: Coke Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Hopefully I wonít regret it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't see how.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:56 AM   #29
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaio1 View Post
Questions I have.
What's the truth on the supply of lithium and cobalt and other minerals?
How green is mining for those?
Electric generation capacity to support the mandates?
Truth about the Electric grid and infrastructure handling the mandates?
The people pushing green energy and EVís are not stupid, they are evil indeed. They know full well you canít have the major of civilizations power produced by wind and solar and then have mandates for EVís for most people. It wonít work, it will never work and they know it. So why do it and like evil people have been doing for everÖ..they want to control us.
There is absolutely no other plausible reason for all this stupidity.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:58 AM   #30
JhuntsAlot
Ten Point
 
JhuntsAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Between Conroe and The Woodlands
Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
If I got one, Iíd charge it with my generator so I donít have to pay those steep electric prices.
Haha, probably would be cheaper to get a whole home generator that runs on NG and do just that.




J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #31
Jon Stewart
Eight Point
 
Jon Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Just those that caught on fire after heavy rains like some in Florida during the last storm .

Wonder how they work in a snow storms when highways are plugged up for hours. Someone is going to get cold.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #32
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young
 
Hoggslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manvel, TX mostly in the Doghouse
Hunt In: My Truck at night.
Default

How would I roll coal at the stoplight when I pull up next to a Prius with its window down if I was driving a EV? It's not for me.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 11:16 AM   #33
cwill
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bellville Tx
Hunt In: Burnet County
Default

I have spent the last 15 years driving 100 plus miles a day for work and have honestly never considered an EV. For me it has always made more sense to buy a small gas commuter that gets crazy good mileage. I've had fantastic luck with the economy Toyotas and Hondas and usually buy a new one at around 250k miles. I can drive the mess out of them and still average around 35 mph and tires/oil changes are pretty darn cheap on the little cars.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #34
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
I have spent the last 15 years driving 100 plus miles a day for work and have honestly never considered an EV. For me it has always made more sense to buy a small gas commuter that gets crazy good mileage. I've had fantastic luck with the economy Toyotas and Hondas and usually buy a new one at around 250k miles. I can drive the mess out of them and still average around 35 mph and tires/oil changes are pretty darn cheap on the little cars.

See thatís what a smart person does.


Iím not very smart.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #35
CoolHandLuke
Pope & Young
 
CoolHandLuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Del Rio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
I have spent the last 15 years driving 100 plus miles a day for work and have honestly never considered an EV. For me it has always made more sense to buy a small gas commuter that gets crazy good mileage. I've had fantastic luck with the economy Toyotas and Hondas and usually buy a new one at around 250k miles. I can drive the mess out of them and still average around 35 mph and tires/oil changes are pretty darn cheap on the little cars.

When I was on the street slakes side I always bought Honda civics. Very dependable and I always came out ahead
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #36
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

Don't forget to remove the rainbow sticker but they still suck.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #37
RWB
Ten Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Alot of folks have it wrong. People are not buying them because they are green or because they economically better than gas vehicles. If logic played into vehical purchases none of us would be driving platinum F350's. Musk brought to market a cool looking car that is fast! Oh and you can yourself feel even better because it's green.

Hybrids never took off not because they didn't make logical sense, they didn't take off because they were marketed as economical. Fast cool sexy sells economical doesn't.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:11 PM   #38
ByronB
Pope & Young
 
ByronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Default

I have an EV but it’s a golf cart. I keep my vehicles for a very long time. Do a lot of driving. An EV automobile would never work for me. I do not have time to stop and charge for hours. I would lose money. That and a high dollar battery make no sense for “my” purposes. I have ridden in a few nice Tesla’s and they are great. Just do not want to own one......nor pay for it.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #39
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

We got them at work . F150 lightning Can only get about 200 miles on a full charge . They are fast and nice to drive but the limited range sucks .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #40
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
We got them at work . F150 lightning Can only get about 200 miles on a full charge . They are fast and nice to drive but the limited range sucks .

Mine will just be to drive around for work. Any extended trips Iíll drive my diesel truck or my gas SUV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #41
brokeno
Pope & Young
 
brokeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Smiley, Texas
Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere
Default

I can't believe some of y'all have been brainwashed by their green new deal bs.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #42
osochuck
Six Point
 
osochuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

I bet if you could unlock the regulator / computer some of them would be crazy fastÖ.that would be fun. But i will keep my old nissans & subbys


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #43
bowmansdad
Pope & Young
 
bowmansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baytown, Texas
Default

Read up on lithium mining and you will see it’s the most environmentally unfriendly choice you could make. Plus charging off the fragile electric grid is another strike and spending $15k or so for battery replacement is outrageous.
Hydrogen is environmentally friendly with the byproduct being water, can’t understand why the environment gurus like Gore, Kerry, etc. aren’t speaking up, draw your own conclusion.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #44
MasonCo.
Ten Point
 
MasonCo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brazoria Co
Hunt In: Kerr Co, Brazoria Co, Colorado Co
Default

Itís a requirement to wear a mask while driving if you own a electric car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #45
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaio1 View Post
The only thing in that post that was correct as it applies to my situation was the actual mileage vs real mileage. And yet it still has no affect on my driving it whatsoever. With my driving style, I get about 85% of the advertised mileage during warm weather and about 70% during cold weather. Both are more than enough for my commute to and from work. I would absolutely recommend to anyone buying an EV to take the advertised mileage at about 60% face value....I recommend the same on a gasser too.
As far as advertised mileage goes, mine will actually get every bit of the advertized mileage and maybe more if I drive solely in city situations. Stop and go city driving using one pedal "regen" mode will get much better mileage average than 75-80 mph highway driving like I do.
As far as range anxiety, I guess if you use it to go on long trips with multiple charges, that could be an issue when you don't know if the chargers at a specified location will be working or occupied. That could be a crazy bad day right there. I would never recommend anyone buying an EV for those type trips.
In fact, my own situation, as a single roundtrip commuter with little variance in your route and where your trip mileage is precalculated and doesn't change much, would currently be the only type use I recommend it for. For that situation it's great and I have zero regrets or complaints.



Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #46
Voodoo
Ten Point
 
Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: Highway Medians
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
Oh Lordy. This is like bringing up high fence deer hunting
And ďManagementĒ
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #47
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Thatís pocket change and if thatís the only major repair on a almost 10 year old vehicle, thatís great. Wait until you need/must replace the battery on a electric vehicle. A friend who has a 2012 Tesla Model S had to replace his battery last year. $14,000 for the base battery and was offered the extended range battery for $20k.



Having said that, I can see them being a great option for those commuting less than 100 miles/day with the fundamental understanding that their not ďGreenĒ modes of transportation.
Even the so called "green" people don't really believe it. Lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #48
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800 View Post
I have a hybrid electric with a 50ish mile range and plug in at work. With 35K miles on it now, only about 2000 are gas as I almost never run out. I charge only at home each night and with solar, I'm "free and clean" other than when the ICE kicks in and the ICE maintenance which is a VERY long interval...

That said, I had a new all-electric on order and cancelled. Contrary to everyone's belief, EVs are not ready for prime time. Until solar is on every roof and it's more than 20% efficient, EV is still very dirty and ridiculously expensive. You are only pushing the pollution upstream somewhere and the electric grid isn't even close to capable of providing everyone a charge.

From a cost perspective, the math won't work out in your favor if you are honest in your calculations especially if you pay to use charging stations. As others have mentioned the battery will eventually fail and when it does, $$$$ to replace unless there is some kind of miracle technology discovery.

I also believe that people are overlooking hydrogen fuel cell. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT going away.

Here is the list of companies releasing a HYDROGEN FUEL CELL SEMI within a year:

Toyota
Volvo
International
Hyundai
Kenworth
Hyzon
Nikloa
... And others

Refueling will take just moments. Just like diesel. Refueling stations will end up at every truck stop in America along all the major freeway interchanges. That means a rapidly growing network of places to refuel your car for any trip. Look at how the technology works and you'll find that the systems will provide a much more realistic alternative to petrol from both a performance and green perspective.
Explain more on the "not cost effective". First let me explain my situation.
I paid 38k for car. I only charge at home. I will trade in on a new one before battery/motor warranty runs out at 100K.
I was in the market for car anyway so min 38K would've been spent on ICE regardless.
Go

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #49
Voodoo
Ten Point
 
Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: Highway Medians
Default

I have one of these and man it is earth friendly.

Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #50
rolylane6
Ten Point
 
rolylane6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Wise county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
Not me. I am a vehicle fire investigator, and I sure don't want one. That should tell you something.
I've had 2 ICE vehicles burn to total loss in my lifetime. Had insurance on both, same as on this one.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com