Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
c3products20
Ten Point
 
c3products20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Default Jacob DeGrom

The look in the hitters face when they whiff on a chin high 101 MPH fastball... Priceless! I don't know if I've ever seen a pitcher as dominant as he is.
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
3rdCoastHunter
Ten Point
 
3rdCoastHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Default

I know it doesn’t equate to total package with pitching whenever I think of speed I always just got straight to randy Johnson. He blew some minds watching him as a kid - and probably some hitters minds as well
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweenyish
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties
Default

What’s crazy is he has increased his velocity year after year. 2016 his average velocity was 93 and change, 2021 is 99 and change.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
c3products20
Ten Point
 
c3products20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
What’s crazy is he has increased his velocity year after year. 2016 his average velocity was 93 and change, 2021 is 99 and change.
Yep! Dude is crazy!
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #5
RMW
Pope & Young
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Dude has a 0.60 ERA, unheard of
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

He’s like the JJ Watt of MLB: a generational talent on a team that can’t win.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young
 
cj7zrcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springtown
Hunt In: Atoka County OK
Default

He's extraordinary, but I don't think any recent batters have gone to the box with a table leg to prove how hopeless their (or anyone else's) at-bat would be....obscure Norm Cash reference.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
eradicator
Pope & Young
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
He's extraordinary, but I don't think any recent batters have gone to the box with a table leg to prove how hopeless their (or anyone else's) at-bat would be....obscure Norm Cash reference.
yep. true story
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
TexHunter12
Four Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Missouri City
Hunt In: Sonora
Default

He has nasty stuff!
TexHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #10
BigLig
Six Point
 
BigLig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Wherever the chase takes me
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etxbuckman View Post
he’s like the jj watt of mlb: A generational talent on a team that can’t win.
this
BigLig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #11
sandbill
Ten Point
 
sandbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Benbrook, TX
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
He's extraordinary, but I don't think any recent batters have gone to the box with a table leg to prove how hopeless their (or anyone else's) at-bat would be....obscure Norm Cash reference.
Thumbs up on the old school baseball note!
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2021, 03:23 AM   #12
ctom87
Ten Point
 
ctom87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public
Default

Picked him up in a trade in fantasy baseball...been a keeper for 5 years.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 09:58 PM   #13
ctom87
Ten Point
 
ctom87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public
Default

Booooooooom!!!!!
Attached Images
 
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #14
sunsethunter
Ten Point
 
sunsethunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Sunset
Default

Heck yeah. Hopefully under new management we can have some success next season
sunsethunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 10:41 PM   #15
mikemorvan
Pope & Young
 
mikemorvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FW
Hunt In: vetements noirs
Default

HVAC system beginning to pay dividends
mikemorvan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 11:00 PM   #16
Jcjohnson
Ten Point
 
Jcjohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Evans, GA
Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton
Default

Congrats Rangers fans. Hope he stays healthy for y’all
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 11:31 PM   #17
K. Lane
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mont Belvieu
Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default

Aaaannndddd the rangers will still finish behind Seattle and Houston, but spend them Benjamin's
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #18
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
HVAC system beginning to pay dividends
This is the correct answer, and to think some of y’all were so against it. You know who you are😄
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #19
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
Aaaannndddd the rangers will still finish behind Seattle and Houston, but spend them Benjamin's
Genius of a prediction.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #20
Passthrough
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Hard to buy a team. BUT they throwing their best offers out there. Guess we’ll see where it leads. Kinda lukewarm on this deal…too much money for someone that don’t see the mound enough
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
Aaaannndddd the rangers will still finish behind Seattle and Houston, but spend them Benjamin's

You probably need to lay off using windex on your windows. Licking windows can cause windex poisoning
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #22
K. Lane
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mont Belvieu
Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Genius of a prediction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You probably need to lay off using windex on your windows. Licking windows can cause windex poisoning

It is comical how easy it is to irritate Ranger fans. I am not anti Rangers at all. Yes, I am an Astro fan but the other Texas team ...is from Texas so they need to win to.
All I am sayin is the rangers spent close to 1/2 a billion on 2 players last year and while one of them wasn't a flop and the second one was, the first half of the season anyway, and they sucked. One pitcher isn't suddenly going to make them competitive.
DeGrom is injury prone...DOMINANT A.F. when he's not...but he is injury prone. I bet he may start 25 games at most and I bet he goes 13-5....as dominant as he is , the dude has never win more than 15 games a season since 2014 and it's usually closer to 5-10 wins....I know there are a ton of other stats to look at but at the end of the day, it's who wins the most

The one pitcher doesn't suddenly make them a World Series contender
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #23
Anthonysince94
Four Point
 
Anthonysince94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
It is comical how easy it is to irritate Ranger fans. I am not anti Rangers at all. Yes, I am an Astro fan but the other Texas team ...is from Texas so they need to win to.

All I am sayin is the rangers spent close to 1/2 a billion on 2 players last year and while one of them wasn't a flop and the second one was, the first half of the season anyway, and they sucked. One pitcher isn't suddenly going to make them competitive.

DeGrom is injury prone...DOMINANT A.F. when he's not...but he is injury prone. I bet he may start 25 games at most and I bet he goes 13-5....as dominant as he is , the dude has never win more than 15 games a season since 2014 and it's usually closer to 5-10 wins....I know there are a ton of other stats to look at but at the end of the day, it's who wins the most



The one pitcher doesn't suddenly make them a World Series contender
Wins are not a good metric to measure how effective a starting pitcher is. Felix hernandez was dominant in his prime but unfortunately his mariners were not so good. Wins are a poor measurement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Anthonysince94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #24
lmartin5
Pope & Young
 
lmartin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Callahan County, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado
Default

Happy to see this.

Hopeful that new leadership will get us back to 2010/2011 form!
lmartin5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #25
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
It is comical how easy it is to irritate Ranger fans. I am not anti Rangers at all. Yes, I am an Astro fan but the other Texas team ...is from Texas so they need to win to.
All I am sayin is the rangers spent close to 1/2 a billion on 2 players last year and while one of them wasn't a flop and the second one was, the first half of the season anyway, and they sucked. One pitcher isn't suddenly going to make them competitive.
DeGrom is injury prone...DOMINANT A.F. when he's not...but he is injury prone. I bet he may start 25 games at most and I bet he goes 13-5....as dominant as he is , the dude has never win more than 15 games a season since 2014 and it's usually closer to 5-10 wins....I know there are a ton of other stats to look at but at the end of the day, it's who wins the most

The one pitcher doesn't suddenly make them a World Series contender
He’s right you know. It also takes sign stealing and illegal bats
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #26
Calrob
Ten Point
 
Calrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: lampasas
Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
He’s right you know. It also takes sign stealing and illegal bats


If thats all it took, the rangers woulda won with a rod, josh hamilton etc....
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #27
K. Lane
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mont Belvieu
Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #28
K. Lane
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mont Belvieu
Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
He’s right you know. It also takes sign stealing and illegal bats




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 09:40 PM   #29
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default Jacob DeGrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
Wins are not a good metric to measure how effective a starting pitcher is. Felix hernandez was dominant in his prime but unfortunately his mariners were not so good. Wins are a poor measurement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No, but how about number of starts per year and innings pitched?

deGrom could end up pitching up to the contract but I’m skeptical. There is no way I’d give him that kind of deal. Shorter term high aav, yes but 5 years is too long imo. I don’t think there will be any middle ground with this deal. It will either be a home run or a strike out. Time will tell. I love baseball because of things like this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rtp; 12-03-2022 at 09:47 PM.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 10:15 PM   #30
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, I don’t have a dog in this fight, I can’t stand the Rangers as much as the Astros . I just don’t like cheaters
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 10:17 PM   #31
mikemorvan
Pope & Young
 
mikemorvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FW
Hunt In: vetements noirs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
This is the correct answer, and to think some of y’all were so against it. You know who you are😄
I have to be cautiously optimistic about the acquisition. It's been awhile since i believed players got healthier as they age. But it's not my money, so go for it. I guess it's just the price of playing poker....

Re: the stadium. I wanted an open air stadium. Heck, i didn't see anything wrong with the Temple. BUT, i didn't have to play on a field that had temps of 115 degrees either. The club has gotten some better players since the new park was built. I've only been to one game in person. We sat in the cheap seats. I can report that the temps in upper regions of that park are well more than 72 degrees, and the views ain't that great. It may be a glorious place to be in the good seats, but not so much up high. Not sure where the breakeven level on the temperature zones is.

Oh well, bring on some more players and spring training.
mikemorvan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2022, 10:22 PM   #32
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Jacob DeGrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
I have to be cautiously optimistic about the acquisition. It's been awhile since i believed players got healthier as they age. But it's not my money, so go for it. I guess it's just the price of playing poker....

Re: the stadium. I wanted an open air stadium. Heck, i didn't see anything wrong with the Temple. BUT, i didn't have to play on a field that had temps of 115 degrees either. The club has gotten some better players since the new park was built. I've only been to one game in person. We sat in the cheap seats. I can report that the temps in upper regions of that park are well more than 72 degrees, and the views ain't that great. It may be a glorious place to be in the good seats, but not so much up high. Not sure where the breakeven level on the temperature zones is.

Oh well, bring on some more players and spring training.

It’s generic, and average. I can appreciate AC as much as the next guy, but it could have been done much better. It didn’t have anything to do with attracting free agents or fans, it was about doubling the value of the franchise…

They parked a 2021 Honda Accord next to a ‘66 Chevelle…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk bud
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 01:08 AM   #33
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Jacob DeGrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comical how easy it is to irritate Astros fans… or some lame *** **** like that
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 01:24 AM   #34
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Comical how easy it is to irritate Astros fans… or some lame *** **** like that

If there is one thing astros fans hate, it’s the truth. But they got one.

And if there’s one thing I hate, it’s that the astros got one…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 08:17 AM   #35
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Jacob DeGrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
It is comical how easy it is to irritate Ranger fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Comical how easy it is to irritate Astros fans… or some lame azz **** like that


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
If there is one thing astros fans hate, it’s the truth. But they got one.

And if there’s one thing I hate, it’s that the astros got one…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True except my comment had nothing to do with that and everything to do with pointing out the irony of his comment earlier …and then his subsequent reaction a few posts later when he got “easily irritated”…

Last edited by Smart; 12-04-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #36
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
True except my comment had nothing to do with that and everything to do with pointing out the irony of his comment earlier …and then his subsequent reaction a few posts later when he got “easily irritated”…





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #37
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a joke, note the smiley faces, braindead
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 11:55 AM   #38
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
It was a joke, note the smiley faces, braindead
Did you miss my smiley face, dipstick?😄
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #39
sandbill
Ten Point
 
sandbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Benbrook, TX
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

Rangers are sure making some positive moves. Really like Chris Young making personnel decisions for the organization now. Love getting Boche, and bringing Maddox back. There are some unproven potential studs ( particularly pitchers) in the farm system. Fired up about the team’s willingness to pony up big bucks for immediate player upgrades. deGrom may be the most dominant pitcher on planet Earth, when available. For what the Rangers are going to pay him, I hope he’s at least reasonably available. Real good times aren’t too far away!
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #40
Anthonysince94
Four Point
 
Anthonysince94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
No, but how about number of starts per year and innings pitched?

deGrom could end up pitching up to the contract but I’m skeptical. There is no way I’d give him that kind of deal. Shorter term high aav, yes but 5 years is too long imo. I don’t think there will be any middle ground with this deal. It will either be a home run or a strike out. Time will tell. I love baseball because of things like this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do agree. It would make me hesitant to take on a guy with the injury history and limited action for the last two years. But when he's healthy he's the best in the game. It is for sure a huge risk because if he doesn't become the cornerstone of your rotation for the length of this contract then you have set your team back years tying up that money in one player. Remember when Miami went out and bought all the talent a few years ago? It was an ugly mess. I hope this isn't the same outcome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Anthonysince94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com