Choosing grass for yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
    what he said. And whatever you do....NO ST. AUGUSTINE. It's your grandfathers turf....for a reason.....

I concur. Celebration Bermuda is the way to go. I have it here in full sun in East Texas, but I first fell in love with it out in Midland. I have irrigation now, but I didn’t in Midland. It’s tough and doesn’t take much water to keep green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buffalograss

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
        We need to sod our front yard as the mud is BAD!

We don’t really know where to start...

Cuero Texas. We will not be putting in a sprinkler system but can water as necessary to establish. Would like to “checkerboard” to get more coverage and let it fill in.

Would like something good for high traffic, kids, pets. But as low of maintenance as possible.

Bermuda, Zoysia, St Augustine, Fescue, Centipede??

What’s the best time fo year to do this?

Y’all school

There is a King Ranch Turf grass Farm between Shiner & Gonzales. A friend used the Zorro Zoysia with excellent results. Zorro is America’s #1 ranked zoysia grass. It is a fine-bladed, dark green grass with very good shade tolerance, good traffic tolerance and rapid recuperative ability. Zorro also has one of the lowest water requirements of the zoysias. It greens up earlier in the spring and stays green later into the fall than other zoysias

Comment

We replaced our St. Augustine with Palisade Zoysia a few years ago, and even at twice the price of St. Augustine, it was the best decision we’ve ever made concerning our (small) lawn.

Zoysia is drought and disease resistant and grows well in both sun and shade. We have irrigation, but the Zoysia requires far less water than St. A (in both volume and frequency) so if you have a fairly small yard, watering with sprinklers or by hand would be manageable.

Zoysia is a thick, single-blade grass (meaning each blade has a root) and does not spread by putting down “runners.” The result is a thick, carpet-like thatch that stays inside the borders quite well.

Walking through this grass is like walking on plush carpet. The only downside to the Zoysia that I’ve noticed is that the tops of the blades become brown immediately after being cut. However, they green up again w/i 12 hours or so.

Comment

Grass tag for later..................

Comment

Zoysia grasses are extremely beautiful but keep in mind if you are going to checker board it it’s going to take forever to fill in. I never recommend checker boarding any grass but understand the cost.

Comment

This area is mostly Sun

Butttt this area is mostly Shade!

Comment

In your case, as mentioned above celebration Bermuda in the front. Zoysia the shaded area.

Comment

If St. Aug works in your area, then use Centipede. Whoever cuts your yard will thank you every time they cut it in the Summer, and every month they don't cut in the Fall & Winter. Centipede needs full sun, however at my house it grows best where it does not get full sun. I think your asking for trouble with the checker style placement, you will get a ton of weeds in those areas. I think all sod is loaded with fertilizer and what ever weed is there will take off. The other benefit of Centipede is the cost, it's the same price at St. Aug.

Comment

We did Bermuda south of SA. Bad decision on my part, doesn’t snuff out all the weeds. Fields around us so. Many neighbors went with zoysia, sure wished I had. Takes some sun, tolerates shade and regular watering.

Comment

Originally posted by C.W.Ashby View Post
                        Zoysia Palisades, IMO best grass out there
                        I agree, Zoysia Palisades is the best. I planted 10 pallets last May and plan to plant 10 more in the Spring.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would not put in St Augustine. With not watering you probably will end up with chinch bugs, dead grass. The last couple of years take all patch has been bad with St Augustine. It also does not like traffic. I'd go with Bermuda. Will handle traffic better but will struggle more in the shaded areas. You could thin out some limbs to allow more sun light thru.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                            This area is mostly Sun

Butttt this area is mostly Shade!

This is almost my exact scenario.

Great advice on here. I’m gonna look seriously into the stuff from Shiner that was mentioned here.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                              I agree, Zoysia Palisades is the best. I planted 10 pallets last May and plan to plant 10 more in the Spring.
                              Got me some yard envy. Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePecosBilly View Post
                                Have you used this and do you have any pics? How was it getting it started?

Comment

Working...
                                X