Cull opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cull opinions

I have a couple young ‘freak’ deer that I would like some opinions on. Sutton county 4,000 acres LF. Not mld so only allowed 10 culls. Would y’all let them mature into bigger freaks or take them now. We have mixed opinions with the group so wanted to hear yalls thoughts. Thanks.

Well I’m having trouble uploading pics. If someone could help shoot me a text 979-533-4670 thanks again

Post the pics here.

10 culls are allowed but not MLD? Not sure I understand that. You are allowed as many culls as you can invite people down to legally shoot haha

Comment

Lease rules only allow 1 per member

Comment

The first and only question I have is how old are they? If they aren’t mature, I don’t care what they look like, I wouldn’t shoot them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
          The first and only question I have is how old are they? If they aren’t mature, I don’t care what they look like, I wouldn’t shoot them.

Just curious, what age is mature? If you see a dinky 3 year old 7 point you wouldn’t shoot it? Even if the other bucks his age are 10 points and show a lot better potential?

Comment

Originally posted by hube06 View Post
            Lease rules only allow 1 per member
            Makes sense now

x2

Comment

Was honestly hoping for some of these answers. I personally want them to mature. Lease rules state need to be 3.5 but I like to wait until 4

Comment

If they are young I wouldn’t shoot them never know what a deer will turn out to be !

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  Just curious, what age is mature? If you see a dinky 3 year old 7 point you wouldn’t shoot it? Even if the other bucks his age are 10 points and show a lot better potential?
                  Too many other parts to the equation.
                  Age of potential culls
                  Freaks? What does that mean?
                  Total population
                  Age class numbers
                  Food source/availability

You have to look at the whole picture before making a decision.

Comment

Let a kid shoot'm. They would be ecstatic!

Comment

Pics for the OPClick image for larger version

Name:	13915.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24637436Click image for larger version

Name:	13914.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	24637437Click image for larger version

Name:	13913.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	24637438Click image for larger version

Name:	13912.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	24637439

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would let them go personally let them mature and see what they do. That dude in the pic with the Axis is gonna be cool looking in 2-3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                          I would let them go personally let them mature and see what they do. That dude in the pic with the Axis is gonna be cool looking in 2-3 years.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Always cull from the top down, meaning shoot the oldest ones first. But, the number to shoot (total bucks including culls) should be dictated by survey data, not just guesswork or arbitrary numbers. If density is an issue shoot them all now. But, it density IS an issue, you should be concentrating more on removing does than bucks. A good rule of thumb, assuming you have a developed buck age structure of at least 33% is define culls as anything at least 3.5 years of age with 7 or fewer points. If the age structure is at least 40%, management deer can be incorporated as deer at least 4.5 with 8 or fewer points.

Comment

I would let em grow, no telling what they will turn into

Comment

Working...
                              X