Changes to this year's TPWD draw hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
    Speaking of name changes Devils river Dan Allen Hughes unit formerly Big Satan unit, no hunts there this year. There are so many areas that are gone from the draw hunts in years past, Huntsville, Possum Kingdom, Lost Maples, Dinosaur Valley, Guadalupe River (main park), Devils Sinkhole SNA all used to be a regulars in the catalog. I wonder why these places aren't doing hunts anymore?
    Under GDE I'm seeing:
    Guadalupe River SP
    Guadalupe River SP - Bauer Unit

Comment

Speaking of name changes Devils river Dan Allen Hughes unit formerly Big Satan unit, no hunts there this year. There are so many areas that are gone from the draw hunts in years past, Huntsville, Possum Kingdom, Lost Maples, Dinosaur Valley, Guadalupe River (main park), Devils Sinkhole SNA all used to be a regulars in the catalog. I wonder why these places aren't doing hunts anymore?
      I live near Dinosaur Valley SP and go hiking there a lot with my son. I don't think we've seen a single deer there. I've seen a couple of sets of deer tracks and a hog track but that is it and I've probably put in 50 miles hiking all over the place. I can't imagine them being able to hold a hunt there compared to a lot of other state parks I've visited where there is wildlife everywhere. If they did have a hunt I certainly wouldn't apply for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
        I live near Dinosaur Valley SP and go hiking there a lot with my son. I don't think we've seen a single deer there. I've seen a couple of sets of deer tracks and a hog track but that is it and I've probably put in 50 miles hiking all over the place. I can't imagine them being able to hold a hunt there compared to a lot of other state parks I've visited where there is wildlife everywhere. If they did have a hunt I certainly wouldn't apply for it.
        Looking at the old draw hunt books they had 35% success rate there, I wonder if that was feral hogs or something else they are counting.

Comment

Some others I noticed missing from past years,

Walter Buck WMA
          Kickapoo Caverns
          Bob Sandlin (may just be corp hunting now)
          Pat Murphy unit of Gene Howe WMA?
          Somerville SRA?
          Walter Buck isn't a separate WMA anymore. It's part of South Llano River State Park now.

Comment

Yeah, I took my boys on a hunt last year, and the place wasn't supposed to have been hunted, but there were beat'n down trails to alot of the stands, and the biologist straight up said he shot hogs when he saw them.

So.... sure didn't help the hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
              Don't see Kickapoo Cavern State Park. It is a beautiful place. I would think there are some axis and whitetails there.
              Do know they did cancel a while back for Anthrax. I looked for it too and was disappointed.

Should have read ahead, someone beat me to the Anthrax info.
              Last edited by ABWGTX; 07-08-2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                The State has had it since 1996, I have been writing about it for years and they would not let anyone but State employees have access.
                It’s a State Natural Area not a Wildlife management area. There is a big difference.

Comment

Are there bighorn sheep in the Chinati Mtns? Seems anywhere there are bighorns they are ant as little human activity as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I noticed the construction disclaimer on the South Llano hunt. Wonder how much it will affect the hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      It’s a State Natural Area not a Wildlife management area. There is a big difference.
                      Do explain how pertains to lotto hunts?, they have or had draw hunting at most all SNA I see on google maps https://www.google.com/maps/search/s.../data=!3m1!4b1 Remember drawing Texana SP and Neasloney WMA neither of which are listed hunts anymore.

Comment

State natural areas are run by the state parks division not the wildlife division. And state parks tend to have hunts out of necessity not to provide opportunity (not always). Being a very arid environment I doubt hunts are necessary. Also depending on who donated the property or funded the property they could donate it for a specific purpose. Such as Neasalony that is only 100 acres and donated to be made into a outdoor education area. So maybe they had hunts on it until it was developed or something.

It’s just funny on here that people think you should be able to hunt everything everywhere and if you can’t the big bad state employees must be making money of of it lol.
                        Last edited by Etxnoodler; 07-08-2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                          I noticed the construction disclaimer on the South Llano hunt. Wonder how much it will affect the hunting.
                          I saw that as well and wondered the same thing. Think I'll put in an application there anyways. See what happens.

I'm thinking that the critters there won't be affected to bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                            State natural areas are run by the state parks division not the wildlife division. And state parks tend to have hunts out of necessity not to provide opportunity (not always). Being a very arid environment I doubt hunts are necessary. Also depending on who donated the property or funded the property they could donate it for a specific purpose. Such as Neasalony that is only 100 acres and donated to be made into a outdoor education area. So maybe they had hunts on it until it was developed or something.

It’s just funny on here that people think you should be able to hunt everything everywhere and if you can’t the big bad state employees must be making money of of it lol.
                            There are a ton of state owned properties that could be offering deer hunts that aren't, at a minimum they should be hosting youth only hunts for recruitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                              Kickapoo allegedly got hit hard by anthrax. If memory serves, the hunts were cancelled there last season. Which is likely why it wasn't included in this year's catalog.
                              They did get hit hard! Glen and I went on the first archery hunt in 2019 and saw this in person. I think we saw 2 deer the whole trip and saw numerous skeletons. They cancelled the remaining hunts and we got our points back. We had a great time anyway! Saw the bats come out and they took the group on a cave tour. Beautiful place that hope to hunt again one day.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                                They did get hit hard! Glen and I went on the first archery hunt in 2019 and saw this in person. I think we saw 2 deer the whole trip and saw numerous skeletons. They cancelled the remaining hunts and we got our points back. We had a great time anyway! Saw the bats come out and they took the group on a cave tour. Beautiful place that hope to hunt again one day.
                                You got to hunt and they gave you your points back?!

Comment

Working...
                                X