Changes to this year's TPWD draw hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
    I've heard this for years and I don't have a problem with it. The staff I've met have been great and I've had successful hunts. For what they earn and where they have to live I say more power to them to take an occasional animal.
    My arrogance is telling me to say:

Amen to that. 100% agree. Such should come with the job if desired. It's called perks for passion(of the job)*

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like they re-named the north and south units of Richland Creek.

Comment

I know that trapping and selling Aoudad on private property is big business in Edwards county. That may be something to think about.

Comment

Pat Mayse if I recall correctly would have two drawn hunts in the "Gun Deer - either" category through November, and then one in December in the "Gun Deer - Management" category. Now it looks like all three hunt weekends are in the "Gun Deer either" category.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
            Looks like they re-named the north and south units of Richland Creek.
            and people will still call them the north and south units, just like Walter E. Long lake in Austin, everyone still calls it Decker.

Comment

Speaking of name changes Devils river Dan Allen Hughes unit formerly Big Satan unit, no hunts there this year. There are so many areas that are gone from the draw hunts in years past, Huntsville, Possum Kingdom, Lost Maples, Dinosaur Valley, Guadalupe River (main park), Devils Sinkhole SNA all used to be a regulars in the catalog. I wonder why these places aren't doing hunts anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                I've heard this for years and I don't have a problem with it. The staff I've met have been great and I've had successful hunts. For what they earn and where they have to live I say more power to them to take an occasional animal.
                I don't have a problem with it either. My problem is with them not giving more opportunities to the public if they have that many hogs and exotics. It's about control and laziness. IMHO, most Wildlife Management areas and some state parks should be open year round for exotic hunting, since TP&W's stated position is to eliminate exotics from land that they manage.

Comment

Some others I noticed missing from past years,

Walter Buck WMA
                  Kickapoo Caverns
                  Bob Sandlin (may just be corp hunting now)
                  Pat Murphy unit of Gene Howe WMA?
                  Somerville SRA?

Comment

Don't see Kickapoo Cavern State Park. It is a beautiful place. I would think there are some axis and whitetails there.

Comment

There are also some very large Wildlife Management Areas that have been completely kept from public access much less no hunting. One such is the Chinati Mountains WMA

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                        There are also some very large Wildlife Management Areas that have been completely kept from public access much less no hunting. One such is the Chinati Mountains WMA
                        Interesting. Made me look. This looks like it will be awesome when finally opened.

Comment

The State has had it since 1996, I have been writing about it for years and they would not let anyone but State employees have access.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                            The State has had it since 1996, I have been writing about it for years and they would not let anyone but State employees have access.
                            I bet Rick Perry got to hunt there

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
                              Don't see Kickapoo Cavern State Park. It is a beautiful place. I would think there are some axis and whitetails there.
                              Kickapoo allegedly got hit hard by anthrax. If memory serves, the hunts were cancelled there last season. Which is likely why it wasn't included in this year's catalog.

Comment

I didn't see Bastrop SP listed in the GDE section this go-around.

Comment

Working...
                                X