No announcement yet.

Wyoming management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked and pulled the bear bait, wouldn't you know it had a hit last day of season.
    It did a number on the cam but it still works.
    Moves our other trail cams to get some deer and elk pics hopefully.

No way to tell how big of a bear but not tiny for sure.
    Also found a pair of bear tracks in the barn area, sow and cub. Have to watch for them and of they come back and get into things they shouldn't.
    Attached Files

Comment

Caught some elk bedded down in the west pasture on the way home last week.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well ,the bear is not gone. Now it is causing some problems and the season is over. I'm calling the GW today. It came back during the day while we were out working in the road.
        Put up some cams and found poop all around the barn, outside and inside.
        Attached Files

Comment

Whitetails are using the meadows, however the hay gets cut next week.
          Attached Files

Comment

Bulls at the WG&F Sybille research facility are looking good.
            Attached Files

Comment

Awesome pics and info. So is all the irrigation water just free flowing from the creek? Can you explain the 1886 water rights? Thanks.

Comment

Water rights are granted from a" first in time is first in right" standpoint.
                The creek that flows through the meadows goes on downstream towards the town of Wheatland. The ranch was first to use water from the stream other than the town of Wheatland so it has 1884 water rights, dating back to when the first water was taken by the ranch from the stream. The town of Wheatland used water first so they have most senior rights.
                If the creek gets very low the "ditch rider" could come out and close off the head gates leading into the irrigation ditches. That has happened once in about 25 years.
                Any ranch upstream from the ranch we work using the water could get cut off if we needed more water, they would close the ditches and let it flow down to us. However the creek headwaters are pretty much on the ranch so another property can not get us shut off, only the town of Wheatland can make that call.

We have 3 head gates along the creek that we open to free flowing ditches through the meadows, it is flood irrigation. We dig "outs" along the ditch for the water to flood to meadows.

Comment

Good stuff. Does the landowner sell any hunts? Or is it for personal use only?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Good stuff. Does the landowner sell any hunts? Or is it for personal use only?
                    I'll add on if I may:

Including hunts for cow elk.

Comment

Super cool! Thanks for sharing Mr/Mrs Wytex.

Is burning the ditches to allow water to flow faster?

Comment

Yes, Briar, we are allowed to burn the ditches.

For now the landowner and some of his family and a friend hunt for elk besides the spouse and myself. He has 2 great nephews that hunt cow elk and very rarely mule deer, the landowner may take a bull or allow a good friend to hunt one instead.

We have elk( mainly cows) , management mule deer, any whitetail and unlimited predator hunting rights , and fishing too.
                        He has allowed mule deer hunting in the past and we are working on getting that back, under a very limited basis. Probably be a trespass fee type hunt with food and lodging included.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff! How long are the irrigation ditches?

Those cows bedded look like they are in heaven.

Comment

I'll guess for now, the ditches total about 1 1/2 miles between the 3 of them. We probably pushed water through about 75% of their total length. One ditch has only been had water down it's entire length once since the current owner brought the place, the others run pretty steady most years.

Had to put down some new boards on the bridge crossing for the tractors and hay equipment also this weekend. They'll be taking an older IH 2wd and a Ford 7740 across to hay with equipment.

Those cows are in a pasture that rarely gets hunted.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Had some big rains today and hoping it didn't lay down the hay before it gets cut next week.
                              Going up Friday to check on any more bear damage .
                              We also have plans to go up to our lot in the NF and clear some trees, we're getting a well later this summer and need another way in for the truck. We want to put another driveway entrance so he can pull all the way through.

And, this vodka was quite refreshing after a day of bridge work last Saturday. Found it on sale and put down about half the bottle with no ill affects.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I missed this thread up until today somehow. I enjoyed reading it and I am looking forward to future updates!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X