No announcement yet.

LEO Recommended Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate the info, coming from the military luckily i have a pretty good idea of what are some basic and simple essentials, most of the stuff mentioned above I already have. Dept. issues dang near everything other than personal items that go in patrol bag. I have lights, TQ's, mags, pens, gloves, boots, note taking, cuffs, keys, medical supplies covered already. Appreciate the info and if you can think of something not listed above put it down. Ive always been one to carry baby wipes for those "code red" days lol.

Comment

Originally posted by texglocker View Post
      Are You going to be working in a city or County as it makes a difference. Find out what you will be issued before you spend money. A good multi tool leatherman or Gerber, good boots, darn tuff socks, aluminum water bottle(I keep a gallon rtic full in my patrol truck), tourniquets and first aid kit, depending on what you need I may have some extra duty belt holsters laying around you’d be welcome to.
      Its with a city agency, yeah ive got a leatherman with sheath that fits on duty belt.

Comment

Originally posted by mechhead View Post
        Lots of items mentioned. I’d add seatbelt cutter and a window punch.
        found a decent one made by gerber.

Comment

I'm NOT law enforcement, but if I were, the first thing I'd buy would be something cover up that **** camera lens.

Good luck on your new career and stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
            21 years patrol/K9. Like others, I would wait to see what the dept provides. What they likely wont is gloves/boots, more than 1 flashlight, and extra tourniquets. I like the 5.11 Storm boots, but most important, get waterproof boots if you dont like cold wet feet. I search a lot of cars and have found that camelback gloves hold up the best and still have good tactile quality for grabbing/shooting. I like peerless cuffs, and i always have at least 1 TQ on my person and 2 flashlights (stinger size and pen light)
            I wen with some Merrell boots that WP due to them having the vibram rubber on the bottom which always held up on rock, concrete or dirt.

Comment

Honestly, I havent had a pair of patrol boots that I would buy more than once. They're disposable, I get a year out of them and they become my yard boots. I do prefer side zips to get them on and off easier. Buy two pair at a time and rotate them out. I keep a pair of rubber mud boots in the shop for rain events, mud and floods.

If you have showers and lockers at your station then keep extra toiletries, uniforms, socks and underwear there just in case you get wet, muddy or extra sweaty. Keep a case of water in your locker as well.

I have an assigned shop so I'm the only one driving it and I keep a lot of extras, that I bought with my own funds. If you drive a pool shop then chances are if you leave something nice in there it might be gone when you get back. Sad but it happens. Jumper cables or jump box is a must. I also bought a pair of bolt cutters. My department finally bought us breaching kits with a ram and a halligan tool. Before that we welded together or own rams or used sledge hammers. I use the ram more often now for breaching auto windows that have laminated glass where the usual centerpunch wont work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy some rubber boots. Also a vaccum hose to attach the AC vent and run down the front of your shirt under your body armor. Tube of Icy Hot to put in your nose when needed.

Comment

Foot wear, orthotics for your boots, quality outerwear, but most important equipment is “YOU” open hand training should never stop. More of the takedowns arm bars wrist locks pressure points all helped me more than anything else oh and get a kubaton and in my 30 years on patrol

Comment

At the moment, GOOD FLEECE LINED LONG JOHNS is my recommendation lol. The last two days I switched to Sitka for the bottoms due to being out working so many accident scenes.

For the tourniquet I carry on my belt with an “Eleven 10” rigid carrier and It has held up perfectly for many years now.

I use the “backup brace” and it helps a ton distributing the weight of my belt. Takes some getting used to to get your keepers on and off for the first couple of weeks but since you’re new, that’s taking getting used to anyway.

For my gun, I have the QLS system to easily remove gun and holster at the same time when I’m hopping in and out of my personal vehicle. Works for a multitude of reasons (take the belt off but don’t want the gun near your kids). The only time I have that pistol out of the holster is for legitimate reasons now.

Those are the main “fancy” things on my rig. I wear the 5.11 boots and they’ve been wonderful so far. I use the under armour black socks and those last forever too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                      At the moment, GOOD FLEECE LINED LONG JOHNS is my recommendation lol. The last two days I switched to Sitka for the bottoms due to being out working so many accident scenes.

For the tourniquet I carry on my belt with an “Eleven 10” rigid carrier and It has held up perfectly for many years now.

I use the “backup brace” and it helps a ton distributing the weight of my belt. Takes some getting used to to get your keepers on and off for the first couple of weeks but since you’re new, that’s taking getting used to anyway.

For my gun, I have the QLS system to easily remove gun and holster at the same time when I’m hopping in and out of my personal vehicle. Works for a multitude of reasons (take the belt off but don’t want the gun near your kids). The only time I have that pistol out of the holster is for legitimate reasons now.

Those are the main “fancy” things on my rig. I wear the 5.11 boots and they’ve been wonderful so far. I use the under armour black socks and those last forever too.

Yes ive come to like the eleven 10 TQ holder, is the QLS made by Safari land? I have seen something along those lines from them that can detach from a belt holster to just a holster to transport it safely?

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by gunfighterx1 View Post
                        Yes ive come to like the eleven 10 TQ holder, is the QLS made by Safari land? I have seen something along those lines from them that can detach from a belt holster to just a holster to transport it safely?

Thanks for the tips.

Yes it’s made by safari land. I’ve got one on my duty rig as well as my class A rig so I’m not taking the whole belt off when I’m moving equipment but don’t want to bang my holster on the seatbelt. It’s awesome. If I’m at the station and I’m in a chair that’s got arm rests, instead of sitting sideways I use the quick release and just set my holstered gun on the desk next to my mouse. I mainly disconnect it when I’m driving my POV too and from work. It’s saved some serious damage to the leather center console and seatbelt!

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                          Yes it’s made by safari land. I’ve got one on my duty rig as well as my class A rig so I’m not taking the whole belt off when I’m moving equipment but don’t want to bang my holster on the seatbelt. It’s awesome. If I’m at the station and I’m in a chair that’s got arm rests, instead of sitting sideways I use the quick release and just set my holstered gun on the desk next to my mouse. I mainly disconnect it when I’m driving my POV too and from work. It’s saved some serious damage to the leather center console and seatbelt!

Makes sense. Again i just have to see what the PD issues holster wise, and if it something of lower quality ill try to get something else approved that is more convenient and higher end to last.

Comment

The Bible

There will plenty of times when you need Gods word more than anything else.

I was with DPD and APD for 10 years. Prayers for you and be safe and thank you and all the other LEO that are out on the line.

Comment

LEO Recommended Gear

A lot of good stuff here. But I didn’t see one mention of Oakleys. You have to have a pair of Oakleys. Lol

Seriously. Like other have mentioned don’t buy too much till you see what works. I have a box full of duty gear that didn’t work for me. Also once you get your Creds, there are several companies that give LE discounts.

When you are in training with other LE, make contacts. Contacts in other agencies are important. I use them a lot especially now since I am an Investigator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by basskicker24; 02-20-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by basskicker24 View Post
                                A lot of good stuff here. But I didn’t see one mention of Oakleys. You have to have a pair of Oakleys. Lol

Seriously. Like other have mentioned don’t buy too much till you see what works. I have a box full of duty gear that didn’t work for me. Also once you get your Creds, there are several companies that give LE discounts.

When you are in training with other LE, make contacts. Contacts in other agencies are important. I use them a lot especially now since I am an Investigator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Ive been using oakleys since 2012, its a must lol. for sure luckily the SO,PD, DPS, and Constables have a good relationship here.

Comment

Working...
                                X