No announcement yet.

Hunting in Harper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m planning on trying to take ours in October. We were covered up with yearling bucks and a few does. Gonna feed all year and hopefully attract something larger to take in October. Planning on thinning out some cedar on the interior while leaving my boundaries for some privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
      I hunted there for 21 years off of Klein Branch Road. Deer were always plentiful and we shot some decent bucks. Axis were just getting populated the last few years we were there. But, we ended up surrounded by smaller acreage and homes. I grew up hunting that place and even had some hunts with my son when he was younger. Most of my deer hunting memories are from Harper.
      God’s Country! Man, I sure miss that place... so many great memories

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
        Grew up in Harper. Still hunt between Doss and Harper today. Anyone who says it’s “shot out” or the hunting is poor there is either hunting too close to a bunch of small tracts of land or some day leasing guys. There’s still plenty of large pieces of property all over that area. Seems like management has really taken ahold of some people in the last 10 years or so. With any management minded hunting and some feed you have a good chance at killing 150” deer. Lots of really nice deer get killed down there that no one ever hears about because of the boom in hunting down there.
        Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
          I hunted there for 21 years off of Klein Branch Road. Deer were always plentiful and we shot some decent bucks. Axis were just getting populated the last few years we were there. But, we ended up surrounded by smaller acreage and homes. I grew up hunting that place and even had some hunts with my son when he was younger. Most of my deer hunting memories are from Harper.
          Exactly where we were, I’m sure it was just the area we were hunting. The landowner showed us tons of pictures of the past three or four years, not a deer over 100 inches or over three years old had been taken. I guess day leases will do that.

Comment

Good food at the Longhorn Cafe. Wish I could find a lease around there that would be reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
              Good food at the Longhorn Cafe. Wish I could find a lease around there that would be reasonable.
              We had brunch there twice, it was great!

Comment

My grandpa dad and uncles started hunting out between doss and Harper in the 50’s they hunted there until around 1968-69 I remember just seeing herds of does as a boy no spikes or does were legal later does by permit if it had a horn on its head they took it
                The land owner went up to $125/ gun they thought that was too much so they
                quit hunting there they got s lease around stonewall in 1971 and we were on it 22 years
                How things have changed

Comment

Some of my first hunting memories were hunting on my uncle's place near Harper in the late 80s. He only had around 100ish acres and was surrounded by a bunch of small ranches. It sounded like a war zone on opening morning and we rarely saw any mature deer. Beautiful country though and still had a bunch of good memories. He sold it in the early 90s and haven't hunted in that area since.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                    They used to have a fried quail plate (maybe they still do?) and it was incredible. I always remembered that place because of it.

Comment

I used to cover high school football in Kerrville and, while I don't know much about the current hunting situation, Harper was my favorite stadium to cover a game.
                      They had the best press box chili and sweet tea of anyone around and those Hill Country sunsets were great out there under Friday Night Lights.

Comment

I shot my first deer in the early 80's in Harper. I will forever remember how wonderful that place was to hunt.

Comment

We hunt 30 miles from harper and all of the land around us is large trackts. We have a solid herd.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X