No announcement yet.

Killing does on small acreage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot does during the morning hunt on mornings I’m not hungover and tired. Usually takes most of the season to have one of those mornings. lol

I don’t like to track deer or dress deer at night.

Comment

She is either pregnant when you shoot her or she would of been pregnant when you shoot her later. Dead is dead.

Comment

I believe if youre going to kill a doe its better to do it early. Its just easier on a bucks health to not chase 20 doe around trying to breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
          I shoot does during the morning hunt on mornings I’m not hungover and tired. Usually takes most of the season to have one of those mornings. lol

I don’t like to track deer or dress deer at night.
          ^^^^I'm with this guy

Comment

We kill does early. One get it out of of the way. You are removing mouths that eat and breed. Killing them early you are leaving that much more groceries on the table. Also we have seen by removing does early we have a much more active rut.

Comment

Early season before the does are bred

Comment

When taking doe early.. what is everyone's thoughts when they still have spotted fawns with them?

Comment

I fall into the 'kill them early' camp. However, it is usually pretty late when they don't have a fawn with them anymore and I'm not shooting and dragging off mama while Jr. is standing right in the edge of the woods. Yes, I realize the fawns can survive on their own by this time of the year, but still . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                    When taking doe early.. what is everyone's thoughts when they still have spotted fawns with them?
                    By mid October just about all the fawns (even with spots) are able to live on their own, however like mentioned above, I personally wont shoot a doe with a little one with her.

Comment

I won't shoot a doe with a fawn because I feel bad about it but I do shoot does early because I feel even worse shooting them late only to have a fetus fall out when I dress them. But there really is no right/wrong or best/worst time to shoot them. Just whatever you're ok with.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Last edited by texan16; 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM. Reason: delete- double post

Comment

It depends on how many you see regularly but I also prefer to take out my does early as possible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Are non pregnant does better tasting? Asking for a friend

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                              By mid October just about all the fawns (even with spots) are able to live on their own, however like mentioned above, I personally wont shoot a doe with a little one with her.
                              I could have shot a doe this weekend but she had two small nubber fawns with her. They were healthy and so was she. I felt like I should give her a pass since she did good raising those two boys.

Comment

I can’t shoot a doe with a fawn, i usually shoot for late in season if they are without offspring. No real management behind this, just my preference!

Comment

Working...
                                X