Removing hair from skinned hog quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing hair from skinned hog quarters

I shot a few hogs this weekend and, in general, always take at least the hind quarters and backstraps for making breakfast or summer sausage.

As this is usually done in the field in the dark and during post hunt beers, I end up with a bunch of coarse hairs on the skinned quarters. I seem to spend way too long washing the quarters in the sink and picking all the hair off (almost one at a time) before cubing / seasoning / freezing / grinding.

Is there an easier method to remove these rogue hairs? Is there something that acts like a detergent that can be used to get the hair to more easily rinse off? Anyone use a torch at this point?

Thanks for any suggestions... excluding not eating them.

Let them dry out and pull the sinew off- the hair stays on top! You’ll probably have to filet it off!

Comment

Little handheld torch.

Comment

I have used several methods including burning the hair with a pear burner and spraying them down with Everclear and lighting it off. Gets rid of the fleas and ticks also. Once burned I scrub them down with a BBQ brush to get the burned hair off.

Comment

Man!

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
          I have used several methods including burning the hair with a pear burner and spraying them down with Everclear and lighting it off. Gets rid of the fleas and ticks also. Once burned I scrub them down with a BBQ brush to get the burned hair off.
          I don't think I could stand the odor of the burning hair.

Comment

Shaving cream and a razor.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Little handheld torch.
              Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
              He's talking about skinned quarters, sounds like y'all are talking about burning the hair off prior to skinning.

OP, maybe change the way you are making your cuts on skin when you open them up. Take the time to make a incision in an area with less hair and then cut in the direction of hair growth, minimizing the cutting of hairs, prevention vs. cure.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Shaving cream and a razor.
                he is asking about hogs, not beaver

Comment

Lots of times just rinsing it off and trimming it out will remove the dirt and silver skin at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Little handheld torch.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Making all of your incisions from the inside out will reduce a lot of loose hair. I was on a lease several years ago and all the guys out there would pour vinegar over their meat, in the cooler, before they added ice. They said it made the hair wash off of the meat easier. I can't confirm or deny that this works.

Comment

Nair.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                          Let them dry out and pull the sinew off- the hair stays on top! You’ll probably have to filet it off!
                          Same.
                          When you clean the quarter to start separating the muscle, it all comes off.
                          He's just grinding the whole thing though.

Comment

Don't get hair on the meat to start with?

Comment

That's what them razor blade knives are good for

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X