Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q For Firewood Experts (or Holiday Inn Stayers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the life expectancy of firewood? I have about 3 cords split, seasoned and ready to go. It'll last us the next two winters. I also have about three cords brand new cut and stacked (not split).

There is a new subdivision being cut in near me and they just cleared roads. More oak on the ground than anyone could cut in a lifetime. Easiest cutting I have ever done.

They'll be chipping it all this week. It would be a breeze to cut a other three cords. I just hate to do that if I'm looking at worthless/rotten firewood in five years.

Thoughts???

And a side comment - the Husky 20" 455 Rancher is a BEAST!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

If you get it of the ground and under a roof I don’t see how it would go bad…. Not sure if you have room for that but even just off the ground I would think oak would be good foe a long time…

Comment

Oak should last. Softer stuff will become sawdust, from bugs.

Comment

I have live oak that was cut about 5 years ago. Just get it off the ground.

Comment

even with a little decay it will still heat and cook ok. I would never dispose due to age. I scavenge oak, pecan and mesquite and would rather have over aged wood than charcoal any day to bbq as an example. Use bigger logs to elevate a hair or 3. Gives the snakes a place to greet you

Comment

Just get it up off the ground. And you should be good for 10 years, Trey. We had some at the lake house that was close to 20, hardwood/oak. We pulled off the top. Bark would fall of the older stuff after a while. Bottom layer was on the ground and just rotted away. And was usually damp. So it was never used. It was stacked shoulder-high in two rows between two oaks about 25 feet apart. I cut and stacked most of it for my grandfather, when I was younger, and he was alive (telling me what he wanted cut down ).

Comment

I have split oak stacked that is way older than 5 years,
              Around here it has to sit in a field for 1-1.5 years because oak wilt
              Hackberry and other stuff rotten in 6 months, oak is solid stacked

The free oak wood is mighty sweet, I would definitely grab everything I possibly could
              And stack it up
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-07-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Live oak, post oak and mesquite will last for years... We have mesquite that was pushed in 2007 that is just now getting to be to questionable on the passing over side. We cut a whole season's supply for the lease cooking and campfire off of it every year since 2010. This was the first year we said, we may have to start cutting down some trees for next years seasoning. I've been working on a double cord pile of live oak and post oak for about 6 years myself in my backyard and its still good. Pecan will last about 2 years. It rots quickly. I've gotten to where I just take small piles of it and place a couple of pieces in the oak coals for added flavor because of this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6181.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	24666884

Last edited by Smart; 11-07-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

If it was just cleared, it's already gonna take a long time for the bigger pieces to even dry up...I only cut & use dead / dry mesquite & have no idea how long ago the trees fell.

If the cut pieces have weight then they are gtg.

Comment

Stack all you need and sell the rest. Like mentioned above, it will last a long time. Even longer if it's kept dry.

Comment

i'm not an expert; but as long as you keep it dry and the ants and other bugs out of it, there is no reason why it shouldn't last forever.

Comment

If it’s green oak, cut and stack it now. In a couple years when you need to start using it, split it all. It’ll last longer in bigger logs (not split). It’ll probably need at least a year or two of drying before it’s worth a darn anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X