New to TRAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to TRAD

I'm wanting to get into TRAD, & looking for guidance on what would be a good equipment package to start out with. Bow,Arrows,Broad Heads, etc etc.

As far as the Bow goes, what is a good draw weight for beginner, is it the same as compound ??? I shoot 70lbs on my compound.... I'm sure this is a dumb question, so don't be to hard on a TBH Brother

Start with 40-50 lbs as trad bows have zero let off.

Comment

Bisch and DRT have worlds of knowledge to offer up.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        Bisch and DRT have worlds of knowledge to offer up.

I’m driving, but I have some info/advice to add when I stop!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Best place to start is with the sticky threads at the top. Here's one for starters:

Comment

Biggest thing to get right would be bow poundage. If your new you want to practice a lot, but with good form. I’d try and find a 35-40 lb bow in your price range, and shoot a very sharp two blade broadhead when you’re ready to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
              Best place to start is with the sticky threads at the top. Here's one for starters:
              https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ead.php?t=5881
              Good advice.
              40lbs on your fingers max is good advice. Deciding if you will do three under, split, finding an anchor point that is consistent and repeatable is key. Start close. Like, really too close, and don't move back until your form starts to develop and groups shrink. Then move back two steps.
              You may have the ability and mechanics to move forward quickly. Or you may be more like me and the first two weeks you'll wonder what the heck am I doing.
              An inexpensive 3 piece bow you can buy sets of limbs for reasonable makes starting low and ramping up as you develop more feasible.
              Look at it this way. Would you rather learn to drive and parallel park in a crew cab long bed 1 ton dually or a small or medium size car?
              It's not that you're weak, but being able to control the whole process and tell when things are right, or what happened when it didn't, will help you develop quicker. 35 to 40lbs on your fingers at your draw length is plenty.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Also "The Push" video series can help you if you want to go with that method.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck I didn't even see the stick threads..... sounds like good advice to start there. I greatly appreciate any & all comments / help.

Comment

Ok, DRT and others hit on most of what I was going to suggest. Trad hunting is very rewarding. I believe the reason is because it is so hard to get good enough to consistently kill critters with no sights and no letoff.

If I were you, I would start with a cheap bow like a Samik Sage or Black Hunter. Draw weight no more than 40# at your draw length. It is pretty important to determine your draw length before getting a bow. Most any shop can measure your DL for you.

Then, I would keep on hunting with my compound while learning to shoot the trad bow. To this end, I would find a competent trad shooter in your area that you can learn and mentor from. If you can find that resource, it can greatly reduce the learning curve. If you put in some dedication to it, you can be good enough up close in a reasonable amount of time. Just know this: shooting accurately enough to hunt with no sights and no letoff is hard, and for most folks there is a learning curve to get there. Don’t expect to pick up a trad bow tomorrow and be then be good enough to be hunting next month. It’s a slow process. If you rush into it willy-nilly, you a will likely set yourself up for failure.

Good luck, and welcome to the fun side!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Ok, DRT and others hit on most of what I was going to suggest. Trad hunting is very rewarding. I believe the reason is because it is so hard to get good enough to consistently kill critters with no sights and no letoff.

If I were you, I would start with a cheap bow like a Samik Sage or Black Hunter. Draw weight no more than 40# at your draw length. It is pretty important to determine your draw length before getting a bow. Most any shop can measure your DL for you.

Then, I would keep on hunting with my compound while learning to shoot the trad bow. To this end, I would find a competent trad shooter in your area that you can learn and mentor from. If you can find that resource, it can greatly reduce the learning curve. If you put in some dedication to it, you can be good enough up close in a reasonable amount of time. Just know this: shooting accurately enough to hunt with no sights and no letoff is hard, and for most folks there is a learning curve to get there. Don’t expect to pick up a trad bow tomorrow and be then be good enough to be hunting next month. It’s a slow process. If you rush into it willy-nilly, you a will likely set yourself up for failure.

Good luck, and welcome to the fun side!!!!

Bisch

Thanks Bisch, sounds like very solid advice I greatly appreciate the input & I'll definitely take my time, do my homework..... really looking forward to learning to shoot trad

Comment

Any input on Long Bow vs Recurve ???

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post

Totally personal preference!!!!

Unless you are talking about an ASL or English longbow. Those are another animal altogether!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                            Recurves tend to be a bit more forgiving, easier to learn.

Comment

Like DRT mentioned, I'd highly recommend watching The Push film. Ton's of great info on there that can help figure things out a little quicker, especially in getting an edge on gaining accuracy a little quicker.

Comment

Working...
                              X