How much wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much wind?

So what would be to much wind for deer? Will it affect hogs also? I’m sitting in 10-12 mph wind and wondering what my chances are. I know there aren’t any chances at camp so regardless I will sit

Interested in this answer. Was sitting in high winds this weekend and didn’t see a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
      So what would be to much wind for deer? Will it affect hogs also? I’m sitting in 10-12 mph wind and wondering what my chances are. I know there aren’t any chances at camp so regardless I will sit
      I hunt just south Lubbock and at times the wind can blow deer directly into your pen. A lot of times when it's really windy I'll have a good number of deer show up right at dusk because the wind will die down just a little bit. I did kill my personal best last week in about a 15 mile an hour wind

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on what the animals are a custom to…I’ve seen deer move consistently in NW Oklahoma with 25mph winds.

They are comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10 to 12 mph winds are basically no winds at all, especially on the South Plains or Panhandle. I would rather have wind than none, keeps the scent hopefully going in the right direction.

I think winds maybe over 20 , might affect movement, but probably not on hogs. JMHO!

Comment

Lol….10-12?? I’d rather have a constant wind than light winds.

Comment

I think it depends on where you hunt and what normal winds are. They tend to get more spooky with winds over 20 where I hunt but doesn't stop movement. I don't think hogs care about wind.

Comment

I've noticed that when winds get up to a steady 10-15 mph or more on our place, activity seems to go way down. Rain and fog are awesome...wind, not so much in the pineywoods from my experience. I think if you're in an area where they're used to it, it probably doesn't affect them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                  I think it depends on where you hunt and what normal winds are. They tend to get more spooky with winds over 20 where I hunt but doesn't stop movement. I don't think hogs care about wind.
                  I believe this. Deer in East Texas don’t like high winds, but 10/12 isn’t high IMO. Deer in Runnels County where I used to hunt paid no attention to 20/25 mph winds.

Comment

One day last week the wind was blowing 15 and the deer were real jumpy. Would not stay at the feeder more than 2 minutes.

Comment

10-12mph isn't wind. That's calm.

Comment

I killed one of my best bucks north of San Angelo in 90 deg. heat 2:00 PM and roaring wind so get out there. Deer do seem jumpy in the wind. A little wind is a lot better than no wind. No wind is too quiet and you cant play the wind when there is none.

Comment

Constant wind is good, and can be accounted for in a hunt. But a constant really strong wind that is moving big tree limbs around with a lot of noise will slow down or stop deer activity, in my North TX experience.

Comment

I've noticed that when it gets really windy, the deer often prefer being in a field or open area. All the tree limbs moving makes them nervous. I find them bedded down on the downwind side of open hills if it's a strong wind.

I've killed deer in winds so strong that my treestand was swaying pretty good, and one of the biggest bucks I ever saw ran directly under my tree so you never know unless you go.

Comment

My daughter killed her biggest buck in FL in the evening with a tropical storm coming in, 30-40 mph steady with gusts to 50 and intermittent rain. Storm was going to come ashore and be worst later that night.

Deer were moving a lot ahead of it. Typical wind for that area was 10-15 out of the SE.

Comment

Working...
                              X