Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk hunting

Hi all,
    I'm looking to set up an elk hunt. Does anyone have any advice on what/ where to go?
    Here's what I'm looking for:
    1. Would like to go on a pack trip with horses to a base camp.
    2. Was thinking colorado but I don't know what's best.
    3. This will be a rifle hunt
    4. There will be about 4 of us.
    5. Willing to spend 5-7k each
    We are wanting the horse to be camp with the opportunity to see some nice bulls. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!
    Tim

Tag

Comment

Wyoming

Comment

If you're wanting to do horses, I would do the Bitteroots, or Church areas in Idaho.
        One of the few places left that are almost un-huntable without horses.

Comment

Wyoming. I started buying points a few years ago and that is the kind of elk hunt I will end up doing.

Comment

He will not draw a Wyoming license without PP.
            Colorado OTC is probably your best bet unless you want to wait about 4-5 years for Wyoming.

Any chance a cow elk hunt DIY might work out? Wyoming has reduced price cow tags that do not take PP to draw, all random draw. Learn an area and get some elk meat on 1 trip.

Seeing nice bulls is very doable but taking big bulls is certainly no given, it will be a hunt not a shoot.

Comment

East Fork Outfitters out of Connor MT. Tell Bob Kyle recommended him to you. I think this last year we paid about $3K each (plus tip), and each of us had shots at nice bulls.

He's exactly what you are looking for. Great guide, great time, beautiful country.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                East Fork Outfitters out of Connor MT. Tell Bob Kyle recommended him to you. I think this last year we paid about $3K each (plus tip), and each of us had shots at nice bulls.

He's exactly what you are looking for. Great guide, great time, beautiful country.

If y’all plan another one. I want to go. I’ve never killed an Elk and would love to go with guys who have done it.

Comment

Samuelson Outfitters are experienced hunters, specializing in guided elk hunting trips in Troublesome Basin CO. Contact us to help outfit you for your next adventure in the wild!

GREAT FOLKS AND OVER THE COUNTER TAGS

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Tag
                    x2

Comment

Call Backcountry outfitters in Pagosa Springs Colorado. I just went on my first elk hunt last month and it was awesome I didn't get a bull but saw elk and mule deer everyday and I rebooked with them for 2023. It's a horseback hunt and highly recommend it everything was awesome from food, people, scenery. The people treat you like family not like a client. There was a guy in camp that's been going for 23 years straight and another guy it was his 6th year straight. They both have been with other outfitters and said this was the best they've been on.

Comment

This guy is on Bowsite and gets great reviews from members there.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Website shows prices closer to $7,000

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                            Website shows prices closer to $7,000
                            Just at looked. $3650 for 5 day rifle.

Maybe you have a different site? There are a couple east fork outfitters. Bob is out of Connor. Site looks like it's from the early 2000's.

https://www.eastforkoutfitters.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              This guy is on Bowsite and gets great reviews from members there.

https://www.flattopsadventures.com/
                              We hunted the Flattops this year. Go on horseback. Packing in was a mofo. Great country. Saw elk and one nice bull but couldn't close the deal. We did DIY.

Comment

Working...
                              X