Gun season for grayson and collin counties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun season for grayson and collin counties

Im hearing rumors that TPWD is thinking about adding a gun season for deer in Grayson and Collin counties. Has anyone else heard this???? I hope its not true.

I would be surprised with growing population densities

Comment

There are some members on TBH I believe that were instrumental in getting the bow season in Collin and are working to keep it bow only. Hopefully they will chime in. Can’t imagine Collin would allow gun or even shotgun. Would be really dangerous in our area of North Collin.

Comment

I would be surprised to but from someone who drives through multiple roads in Collin and some Grayson roads, I've noticed increasing numbers of deer AND hogs killed by cars. Maybe the purpose would be to cull some of the numbers that bowhunters simply haven't taken care of alone? Or the increasing number of landowners have cut down the acres of allowed hunting and the deer pop. has boomed? Just grasping here as to why it may be considered.
        Last edited by tdwinklr; 11-21-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

IMHO, There is no reason to reduce the overall population of deer in Grayson County. As to the human population I'm on the fence.

Comment

Keep hagerman bow only but a rifle season in Grayson wouldn’t hurt my feelings any. Seems like the big boys at my place are always out of bow range or not enough light left to see my pins. I suspect plenty are killed in Grayson with a rifle anyhow.
            Last edited by FireNguns; 11-21-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
              I would be surprised with growing population densities
              There are plenty of high density counties with rifle seasons. I live in one of them....Fort Bend county. I wish that reason had some impact on making a county bow hunting only. I would love it if Fort Bend was bow hunting only.
              Where I hunt, I have small neighbors to the the south and west. Im mean small like 5-15 acre small. I was sitting in my blind yesterday(bow hunting) and there were a number of gunshots from those two directions. Hopefully Grayson and Collin can remain bow hunting only.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                IMHO, There is no reason to reduce the overall population of deer in Grayson County. As to the human population I'm on the fence.
                We have no deer at my place, people think the county is covered in them but its pockets

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
                  Keep hagerman bow only but a rifle season in Grayson wouldn’t hurt my feelings any. Seems like the big boys at my place are always out of bow range or not enough light left to see my pins. I suspect plenty are killed in Grayson with a rifle anyhow.
                  As a bow hunter that would be the worst thing that could happen. You think all the deer on Hagerman stay on Hagerman and don’t go on private property! As a bow hunting site I can’t even believe this was posted here!

Comment

This was proposed by TPW back when the push was made to open a general season in Grayson. We used to be archery season only. The only reason it didn't go through was public comments against it and a few very influential people making there viewpoints known and getting our state legislator's involved. At the time, the parks and wildlife argument was a Grayson general season with archery weapons only didn't fit the mold of other season structures in place and a single county couldn't be managed with a different season than surrounding areas. Turns out it could and it became the model for opening seasons to the south. If it turns out they are making another run at this, public comment will be critical. Grayson's population and spotty deer herd will not affect decision making on this unless the public makes it an issue as before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                      I second this for Collin County. A rifle season here in Collin would destroy the already small pocketed herds here. Once I start seeing deer dead on the side of the road like I see when driving through the hill country counties, or even Jack or Wise i'll support it.

Comment

We do not need a gun season here!

Comment

I don’t have skin in the game as I don’t hunt nor own property in Grayson County but I find it sad that hunters want to keep other hunters and possible future hunters from hunting; and likely for selfish reasons.

No wonder hunting numbers are dwindling. Not everyone is interested in hunting with a bow, but they might be interested in hunting with a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I don’t have skin in the game as I don’t hunt nor own property in Grayson County but I find it sad that hunters want to keep other hunters and possible future hunters from hunting; and likely for selfish reasons.

No wonder hunting numbers are dwindling. Not everyone is interested in hunting with a bow, but they might be interested in hunting with a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            There are over 200 counties in Texas where you can hunt with a gun! You think it’s smart to shoot a 300 mag in the suburban areas of north Collin? Plus you can use a crossbow in these counties. No one is being limited from hunting and it has zero affect on future hunting numbers.

Comment

I’d be bummed if they opened a rifle season in Grayson. It would prob increase my property value though. As a recreational place it would be more interesting to people that don’t bow hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X