Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

used with 100K are around $2000.00

Comment

I drive a '94 Chevy with 310,000 mi on it and I'm pretty sure when it craps out I'm going to put a new engine in it. New ones are unbelievably expensive and even decent used ones are 10 or 15 grand with no warranty so might as well put an engine in my old crapper

Comment

I totally understand the guys trying to squeeze several hundred thousand miles out of a truck and replacing engines when the time comes. With that said, that's never been me except when I was young and didn't have a choice. Not really interested in keeping up with the Jones or the status symbol thing but do enjoy having a new truck with bells and whistles as I'm in it a lot. I drive about 40k+ per year on average and I'm a pretty busy guy so I don't have time to waste on lengthy repairs or breakdowns. The joke around my family is that Josh must have needed new tires because he got another truck. I am on my 4th new truck since 2017 now lol. My name is Josh and I have a problem.... I don't do the crazy high notes with lengthy terms though. I put a lot down and generally pay them off quick.

Comment

I'd rather avoid a car payment any chance I get.

Currently have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.7L Hemi and 247k miles. Rebuilt transmission 5k miles ago. Haven't opened up the motor yet and still running strong.

Previously had a 2000 Suburban LS w/ 5.3L and 320k miles on it. Rebuilt that trans twice, before I finally sold it on. Still miss that truck!

Comment

Yeah, I completely understand getting a new truck for some people if they want it. The reason I don't is I use mine for ranch work all the time and I'd hate to spend 15 or 20 grand on a nice used truck just to beat the dog crap out of it. That's one of the main reasons I just keep fixing my old junker. My wife has the nicer pickup that we use to drive around town and such LOL

Comment

Repowering is easily the best option from a monetary standpoint. If you don't care about all the new technology in the new trucks, then just repower.

Some of the newer features are things like -

- USB ports and touch pads for I-phone charging;
              - Bluetooth connectivity
              - Touch screen displays
              - Apple car play
              - front/rear cameras
              - more safety features like blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alerts, side curtain airbags, etc.
              - LED headlight options

If you are just an AM/FM radio kind of guy, most if not all of that stuff won't matter. Or if you've never had it before, you won't miss it.

To be honest, my wife's Lexus has all of this stuff and I don't care about most of it.

Comment

If you still like the truck and everything else is in good enough shape for you to justify keeping it, I'd rebuild and keep rolling. Trucks keep getting more gadgets put on them, and keep getting more expensive. At some point it just doesn't make sense financially to get a new one and pay for all the stuff everyone HAS to have if you don't have a use for it. But that's just the opinion of a guy who would be happy with rubber floors, a 350, and a 4 speed, you know, a truck, not a luxo-barge.

Comment

I’ve got an 01’ dura flop that my dad had this mentality on. 235k and still going. Only $80k in repairs over 20 years….. could have bought several work truck packages for that

Have an 05’ as well I’ve already replaced about every major … and minor component on it

Both look fine but the interiors are just falling apart…. Cause they are 16 years old….and they are made of plastic

I’m opposite I guess I’ll pay a payment for the piece of mind and dependability IF it’s my daily driver and what I make my living with

Comment

I have a new truck. It’s a piece of crap

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                      I totally understand the guys trying to squeeze several hundred thousand miles out of a truck and replacing engines when the time comes. With that said, that's never been me except when I was young and didn't have a choice. Not really interested in keeping up with the Jones or the status symbol thing but do enjoy having a new truck with bells and whistles as I'm in it a lot. I drive about 40k+ per year on average and I'm a pretty busy guy so I don't have time to waste on lengthy repairs or breakdowns. The joke around my family is that Josh must have needed new tires because he got another truck. I am on my 4th new truck since 2017 now lol. My name is Josh and I have a problem.... I don't do the crazy high notes with lengthy terms though. I put a lot down and generally pay them off quick.
                      I’m kinda in this situation too I run the roads and pull a lot of heavy loads so I like having the relative peace of mind of a newer vehicle.I do pass my trucks along to the crews when I’m done with them so they start getting patched up a bit but they don’t put many miles on them around town.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        I have a new truck. It’s a piece of crap

What did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          What did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          A piece of crap that spends more time in shop than on the road. Usually drives a dealer loaner.

Comment

I'm a 10 year guy. I get a new truck about every 10 years. But I don't put alot of miles on it as I also have a company truck. So at 10 years I'm usually just getting to the point of needing repairs. Just sold my 2012 F350 for a 2022 F350. I also don't do big notes for years and years. Pay cash or close to it and what amount I do finance I pay off in less than 2 years.

Comment

Should be about 2500 to fix if they have to replace the cam. Hydraulic lifters in those. They have the gas saver trash where it cuts out certain cylinders. Causes the problem with the lifters.

Comment

Thought I’d bring this back up with more info.
                                It ended up needing a new engine. I had a new one installed with a 3 year 100k warranty for 6k. While this was going on I was driving a truck my father in law bought from another family member. It is an 04 Silverado with the 5.3 ( exactly the same as mine ) it has 230k miles( about the same as mine ) and guess what? Driving home from work the oil pressure completely disappeared. I shut it down immediately and have it towed to a shop. They said new engine but I can’t imagine that because it sounds perfectly fine when running. Anyway, apparently if you get 250k out of these 5.3 considered yourself lucky. I hear they last forever but I have had two take a dump in a month. The irony is it’s the first truck I have ever really taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                                X