No announcement yet.

End of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I met a gentleman...about 10 years ago or so at Walter Buck WMA. He was 81 years young. Drove a long ways to get there and hunted alone.

He shot an audad(muzzleloader) and field dressed it and drug it back to his vehicle by himself. I hope to be as mobile as him when I am that age. He left his knife at the gut pile and got turned around after dark and couldn't find it. He was leaving that night. I got his address info and was able to find it the next day and sent it to him. I think he and that knife went on many a hunt together.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
      Years ago I started still hunting/exploring on large areas of public land. Enjoyed it and still do
      . At 70, I can't imagine me dragging a buck 2 miles out. I will shoot a hog, but no real interest in deer. Squirrels and rabbits are another thing.
      I was hunting LBJ grasslands several years ago. I was walking in and about a mile in and across 2 creeks I came up on an older gentleman who was strapping a very nice buck to a cart. I believe he said he was 82 yrs old at the time. I decided it was best to give up my hunt and help him haul it out or I might end up hauling him and the deer out later when I returned. Super nice guy and I ran into him a few more times out there over the next few years. He wasn't about to let age slow him down.
      Funny, everytime I ran into him, the first thing he asked was, "do you know Jesus"? I always said "yessir I still know him"!
      I sure hope I'm still hunting at that age. I plan to. We'll see if my body has the same plan. But to answer the OP's question, it'll be when I can no longer physically do it or if for some absolutely insane reason, it looses its appeal. I can't see that happening, but I have had other passions in my life that I no longer pursue so maybe my passion for hunting will fade too. I really hope not.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My wifes Grandfather started getting up there in age and had some major physical limitations. So he started asking me to go with him on his hunts. I instinctively knew my role and took very good care of him. I'd haul him to the blind and volunteer to clean his deer. He appreciated it and never lost the drive to hunt.

Lots of very good times spent with him driving all over the place to go hunting. Time I'd never take back. That's a big part of the whole deal. Time you get to spend with the people you want to spend it with.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          There was a gentlman on here, Bob Lee who had an epic thread i will never forget. Life changing for me. His days were numbered and he knew it. The rest of us had no clue as to this wild post. He said "There is a day when you stop looking forward and start looking back". He passed away not long after the thread. I really believe there is a day when mentally...you are done.
          RIP Bob Lee. Those were some great threads

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            There was a gentlman on here, Bob Lee who had an epic thread i will never forget. Life changing for me. His days were numbered and he knew it. The rest of us had no clue as to this wild post. He said "There is a day when you stop looking forward and start looking back". He passed away not long after the thread. I really believe there is a day when mentally...you are done.

This right here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll quit when I'm either physically/mentally unable or when they slide me into the oven.

Comment

The day I stop enjoying it or can’t.

Comment

Never

Comment

When you no longer enjoy it. Or can no longer justify it.

Comment

I’m sure you will know.
                      I don’t shoot deer anymore but I take my grandkids and I enjoy that.
                      My grandpa never lost it, I took him hunting when he was in a wheel chair.
                      His fingers were so crooked from arthritis he could barely pull the trigger but he never lost the desire to hunt.

Comment

I'll have to admit, at 71 years old, some of "my get up and go has got up and went".

I've hunted all my life and came from a family with a long hunting heritage. I never thought about not hunting, but have lately come to the realization that I just don't have the drive anymore.

After dealing with some health issues the last couple of years it's just hard to get excited like I used to. This year I'm dealing with a vision problem in my left eye. Night driving is becoming an issue.

I still maintain two feeders and have cell cams running. Those 50 lb. bags of corn seem to weigh more every year.

First thing every morning and last thing every night I check my phone for the latest pics.

Enjoy your youth and spend as much time hunting and fishing as you can before you reach the "End of the Game".

Comment

I grew up in Grayson county and "Hunted" Hagerman MWR with camera and binoculars starting in the late 1960s. It was great fun no one was ever there and once deer started to populate the area they were pretty tame and not nocturnal at all. It is amazing what you can learn and observe if you never intend to shoot anything. How many have watched a huge buck rub off velvet and then keep watching long enough to see him eat it?

Comment

I told my wife if I can't hunt pull the plug. I hope I am still hunting 30 years from now but if I no longer enjoy it or get excited from it I will stop. I owe it to the animals.

Comment

Stopped hunting Elk this year due to knee surgery.

Truth be told I have not arrowed one in years, but love the mountain experience too much to cal it quits. Still have the desire and will even when my mind say I can but body says different.

Looking forward to taking my Grandson, who will be brand new in November.

Comment

Just don't even wanna think bout this

Comment

Working...
                                X