2019 LBJ Grassland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
    LBJ National Grasslands in the Decatur, TX area. Methods are bow, cross bow, shotgun and mussel-loader.
    Looking at the Caddo threads, it's been a while since those have had activity. Guess I'll have to go bump on one of those.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't get out until about mid Sept. Deer patterns and terrain changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
        I don't get out until about mid Sept. Deer patterns and terrain changes.
        Learned that the hard way. Got excited 2 seasons ago about a spot because I was getting pics almost daily all summer. 2 weeks before opening day they switched it up and hardly passed through anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll probably set cameras after the dove opener. This year they're all going high and locked. Even the $28 tasco specials. I've decided the loss of pictures are worse than the loss of cameras. Also, I'm going to double camera most of my spots. Doesn't mean I'll catch anyone but I can sure post their picture.

I didnt see a buck last year. I had a doe at 7 yards but she had twins so I gave her a pass. I'm getting anthropomorphic in my old age.

Comment

Do pretty much all of y'all hunt out of a tree stand or saddle? just trying to get a census as to what the best approach is out there.

Comment

Lock on tree stand mostly. Sometimes a ground blind

Or with a shotgun from the cab of my pickup...

Oops, did I write that out loud?

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post

LMAO!

This site definitely needs more humor like this

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post

I believe that is called a Detroit Box Blind.

I might just check out some of my old honey holes this year.

Comment

Can someone point to the rule that tells you how far away you have to be from trails and fences. I've looked at the published orders but don't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      I believe that is called a Detroit Box Blind.

I might just check out some of my old honey holes this year.
                      Ha! Ah, yes. The good old days. Now my truck was probably built in Mexico.

Comment

does everyone mostly have a set spot they go to after scouting? or does anyone do strictly spot and stalking?

Comment

Most bowhunters stand hunt, meaning stay in one spot for the hunt. "Still stalking" with a bow is incredibly difficult because the senses on a deer are 20x to 50,000x or more than a human's, pending which sense you compare with. Sight, however, is about as good as yours or mine during the day as far as distance goes. But they do have some difficulty with depth perception, hence why sometimes they move there head side to side when trying to figure out what you are.

Comment

LBJ Grasslands near Decatur

Where could I get a map of the areas near Decatur that are open for hunting? Preferably online...I had a lease but just lost it so to public land I go this season.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCRev. View Post
                              Where could I get a map of the areas near Decatur that are open for hunting? Preferably online...I had a lease but just lost it so to public land I go this season.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCRev. View Post
                                The link Froggy posted is probably the best one online. I would also highly suggest stopping by the Forest Service office in Decatur to pickup a paper copy. Nice to have when you are out on the grasslands with sometimes spotty cell service. I think they are $15 if I remember correctly. The staff there can also be a great source of info sometimes as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X