Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    Yeah this will be the interesting part.
    To see how you dry it in (walls, rafters and roof)
    That's the fun part! Start taking shape and looking like a home!

Comment

Notice you didnt use straps/brackets/hangers on the foundation. Did you just toe the beams and joists? Nails or screws?

Personally, I like the structural screws for the small projects like blinds/cabins. They are a tad pricier, but cheaper than nails/straps and are easy to install using an electric driver.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Notice you didnt use straps/brackets/hangers on the foundation. Did you just toe the beams and joists? Nails or screws?

Personally, I like the structural screws for the small projects like blinds/cabins. They are a tad pricier, but cheaper than nails/straps and are easy to install using an electric driver.

Toe screwed together. The outside OSB will overlap both when I get to that point and basically make it Hurricane proof. It will be a 1' overlap and join everything together. Very sturdy structure in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          Toe screwed together. The outside OSB will overlap both when I get to that point and basically make it Hurricane proof. It will be a 1' overlap and join everything together. Very sturdy structure in the end.
          So essentially wood block strapping at the rim connections to the beam/beam ends. But just toed for the inside beam/joist and beam/piers.

(BTW, not judging... people been building country homes for centuries with less)

Comment

So essentially wood block strapping at the rim connections to the beam/beam ends. But just toed for the inside beam/joist and beam/piers.

(BTW, not judging... people been building country homes for centuries with less)

Correct. I'm no pro. Lol... I had a book when I built mine and just followed instructions. It was a basic contractor building book that showed how to do it all. I have passed it down to another member here and don't have it. Definitely a good source for big projects.

There are so many ways to do things now. I try not to cut corners but I'm sure I will in some builders eyes along the way of this build.

Comment

Correct. I'm no pro. Lol... I had a book when I built mine and just followed instructions. It was a basic contractor building book that showed how to do it all. I have passed it down to another member here and don't have it. Definitely a good source for big projects.

There are so many ways to do things now. I try not to cut corners but I'm sure I will in some builders eyes along the way of this build.
              There literally a hundred ways to build things. I just like seeing the different approaches.

Comment

in like Flynn

Comment

There literally a hundred ways to build things. I just like seeing the different approaches.

I know what you mean.

Part of me wants to start framing now. I just have too much to do on the side of this that needs to get done. Ready to see it take shape!

Comment

I know what you mean.

Part of me wants to start framing now. I just have too much to do on the side of this that needs to get done. Ready to see it take shape!
                    My favorite part is the structure... inside finishing would annoy me. Probably why I never did get motivated to wire the inside of my tiny lease cabin.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Can you share the book title you used to build your first house?

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          Can you share the book title you used to build your first house?
                          Honestly can't remember. I'll see if I can get ahold of the member that has it now.

Comment

This is an awesome DYI thread. Looks great. Following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No big updates this week or next. I did get the plastic cover on today in case any rain or whatever you call that stuff comes in the next 10 days. Will start framing later next week. Until then I plan to spend some much needed time with the family!
                              Attached Files

Comment

No big updates this week or next. I did get the plastic cover on today in case any rain or whatever you call that stuff comes in the next 10 days. Will start framing later next week. Until then I plan to spend some much needed time with the family!
                                Hope you didn’t wear yourself out with that plastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X