AG Exempt vs Wildlife Exempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These changes should have started Sept. 1, 2019

The other side of this is that you letting it lapse does not necessarily trigger the roll back taxes. It is actually trigger with a "change of use" of the property.
    Last edited by C.W.Ashby; 01-11-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Final thought, you can also let the land lay "fallow" for one year and still maintain your 1-D-1.
      Most taxing authorities won't tell you this.

Comment

Originally posted by cwashby View Post
        Actually this just changed to 3 yrs and 5% interest. Which is better but still an idiotic tax, IMO.
        I led the legislative division at the comptroller's office a few years. I thought I had heard they changed to 3 years recently. Doubled checked it before I posted, but they have not updated their web page. That wouldn't have happened back in my day [emoji16]

Some Texas lands used for farming or wildlife management can be appraised based on their agricultural use, rather than market value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is some very helpful information of changes that were made regarding land used for agricultural purpose.

HB 1743 was passed and amends sections 23.55 and 23.76 of the Property Tax Code regarding the appraisal methods and procedures in Texas. Specific changes made to the Property Tax Code are in regards to rollback taxes for agricultural land. Land that is converted from agricultural use to non-agricultural use will still incur a rollback tax. However, starting September 1, 2019 the number of years for a rollback tax bill for changing to a non-agricultural use will be reduced from five years to three years and the interest rate imposed on a rollback tax bill is also reduced from 7% to 5%.

Source: Dr. Blake Bennett, Associate Professor and Extension Economist, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
            While we are on the subject. Our land owner has recently asked us to send him our feed receipts for his wildlife exemption. Is this normal?

Brian
            Wildlife exemption requires an annual report of what practices he did during the year to improve property and wildlife - I just sent mine in for 2019 - pretty simple to do - keep pictures of bird houses, trapping coons, etc., feeding fish in ponds, Pretty simple - best part is that the county appraisal district does not physically check on your property like they do on Ag

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
              Ag exemption saves me property taxes and sales tax on certain items. Can't say on wildlife. Odd that all feed at feed store is tax free regardless but not at buccees or other places....
              I got into this several years back and wrote the Texas AG. Got a letter back stating all wildlife feed is tax exempt and I used to carry a copy to show to the hard headed dealers and give them a copy. Either Buccees is keeping the taxes as additional profit or the state is getting a windfall tax benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by cwashby View Post
                Here is some very helpful information of changes that were made regarding land used for agricultural purpose.

HB 1743 was passed and amends sections 23.55 and 23.76 of the Property Tax Code regarding the appraisal methods and procedures in Texas. Specific changes made to the Property Tax Code are in regards to rollback taxes for agricultural land. Land that is converted from agricultural use to non-agricultural use will still incur a rollback tax. However, starting September 1, 2019 the number of years for a rollback tax bill for changing to a non-agricultural use will be reduced from five years to three years and the interest rate imposed on a rollback tax bill is also reduced from 7% to 5%.

Source: Dr. Blake Bennett, Associate Professor and Extension Economist, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
                Still ridiculous, it shouldn't retro 1 day.

Comment

Ag exemption is super duper easy. Throw a couple goats on your place. Done. Or let a neighbor graze for a couple days. Done. I was worried about this when I bought my place 3 years ago and it’s so so easy.

Comment

Nobody has ever physically inspected my place for ag. They send a form once a year and ask you to check boxes of what you do. Box checked for cattle. Done.

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                    Wildlife exemption requires an annual report of what practices he did during the year to improve property and wildlife - I just sent mine in for 2019 - pretty simple to do - keep pictures of bird houses, trapping coons, etc., feeding fish in ponds, Pretty simple - best part is that the county appraisal district does not physically check on your property like they do on Ag

Comment

What is the minimum amount of land you can own and still get a wildlife exemption?

Comment

If land is in Ag use already, it is super easy to just rollover into wildlife instead.

If trying to get land entered into tax exemption status either Ag or wildlife...not sure on acres needed

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          If land is in Ag use already, it is super easy to just rollover into wildlife instead.

If trying to get land entered into tax exemption status either Ag or wildlife...not sure on acres needed
                          Its county specific

Comment

Grayson county its minimum of 10 acres, different criterias.....x amount of momma cows, x amount of stocker calves, x amount of hay, x amount of trees, x amount of brerding mares (3), etc......oh and bee hives

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                              Nobody has ever physically inspected my place for ag. They send a form once a year and ask you to check boxes of what you do. Box checked for cattle. Done.
                              You may not know that they are out looking at your place - they do not give you a heads up - depends on county you are in - many of them use google maps to see if you have livestock on your property during the year - where I am they drive out and check your property and see if there are cows or sheep on the property

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                                You should not have let it expire. You were growing trees...or rather your trees were going? Yes, you were a tree farmer...it’s not hard. Every year, I cut firewood and donate it to needy families.
                                It wasn't on land that I owned. I leased a property and was raising chickens and quail mostly as well as cutting and selling wood. The ag was tax exemption on products related to raising poultry.
                                I moved and bought a place where you can not raise anything but horses.
                                I assume it should not affect me seeing how is was not property.

Comment

Working...
                                X