7mm mag loads and bullet recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm mag loads and bullet recommendations

Got all the components together to get my 7mm mag built this summer by WTO so starting to get reloading components gathered up now.

So basically trying to decide what I want to run for a hunting bullet. This is a hunting gun going to be used on everything from deer to moose when I get the chance and would like to just get one load and run with it for everything. So basically have it narrowed down to these 3
    160 partition
    160 accubond
    Or 175 gr partition.

But if y'all have other suggestions I am open to them. I have a 1-8 twist barrel so in theory should be able to feed it anything.

Also powder suggestions are also welcome.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I've been shooting the Barnes 140-grain TSX BT for everything you mention except moose and have been extremely happy with accuracy and quick kills. If you need a heavier bullet it's also made in 175-grain TSX BT.

For my 7mag load

140GR. TSX
    64GR. Accurate Arms 4350 Powder
    Remington Peters Brass
    Winchester Western Large Rifle Primer
    Overall Length 3.300"
    Group .39 Velocity 2991 FPS
    Last edited by Hardware; 12-16-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I’m running a 180 grain Berger VLD in a 26” proof sendero lite on a defiance deviant hunter. WTO built it. I did their bore rider throat and am running at 3075 FPS consistently in the .1-.2 range 5 shots. (It’s been sitting awhile now due to no LR place locally anymore). Norma brass and retumbo powder. It’s a rocket.

If you want a tougher Bullet then sling an accubond. Just don’t expect them to fly as well at distance. This rifle I’ve taken to 1800 yards and it still hits pretty hard.

So. Run a 26”+.

Run retumbo.

Do the bore rider chamber.

Shoot a heavier Bullet (180+).

Kill a bunch of stuff.

Clayton and the WTO guys are top notch
      Last edited by trophy8; 12-16-2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Both of my 7mag Senderos love 160 anything.. Those Accubonds are Lethal..
        I also love the Speer 160gr boat tails..

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
          I've been shooting the Barnes 140-grain TSX BT for everything you mention except moose and have been extremely happy with accuracy and quick kills. If you need a heavier bullet it's also made in 175-grain TSX BT.

For my 7mag load

140GR. TSX
          64GR. Accurate Arms 4350 Powder
          Remington Peters Brass
          Winchester Western Large Rifle Primer
          Overall Length 3.300"
          Group .39 Velocity 2991 FPS
          You should be able to run that 140 MUCH faster

Comment

Will also add the Barnes 168 gr lrx to this mix as well.

Comment

I love AccuBonds. I load 160s and 140s for my 7mag. They are now making a 150gr too. H1000 powder does well for me.

Comment

If the 160 Accubonds will shoot well out of your gun, I would run those. I have shot everything from Bergers to Barnes and just about everything in between. The Accubonds seem to be the perfect blend of penetration and expansion in my personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                  Will also add the Barnes 168 gr lrx to this mix as well.

IMO the Barnes bullets are a little tuff for deer size game.. I don't like their performance. Not enough terminal damage on smaller animals.. They do exactly why they are designed to do thoug which is stay together.. They would be my go to on Elk or Bear and such.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    IMO the Barnes bullets are a little tuff for deer size game.. I don't like their performance. Not enough terminal damage on smaller animals.. They do exactly why they are designed to do thoug which is stay together.. They would be my go to on Elk or Bear and such.
                    That's why I don't push them as fast as I could.

Comment

160 accubonds out of a fast 7mm is bad news for whatever you shoot.

Comment

The faster you push them, the more expansion you will get. IMO, the best results for deer sized game with the Barnes is to go light for caliber and push them as fast as possible.

Comment

Backwards. Speed them up to increase damage.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                            The faster you push them, the more expansion you will get. IMO, the best results for deer sized game with the Barnes is to go light for caliber and push them as fast as possible.
                            This^^

Comment

Barnes need to be pushed hard

Comment

Working...
                              X