Calling all pond experts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all pond experts!

I have a 3 acre pond that has been full of water for about 4 years since we dug it. Average depth is around 11 ft. We put about 400 perch in it one year but thats all. I know alot of fish got in it during Harvey and it flooded again during Imelda. My question is sort of a 2 part question. 1. When is the best time to stock it here in Liberty County? 2. What, and how much should I put in it?

I have read a ton of old posts on here and numerous articles on this. Basically I dont care about catching 10 pounders but my wife wants to catch a fish every few casts. Right now we can fish for an hour and may catch 3-4 smaller sized bass each. On a good day we can catch 7-8 in an hour. You can catch perch until youre blue in the face. Any help or advice would be appreciated. We are ready to pull the trigger on something as soon as the timing is right. Thanks for any input you can offer.

My wife loves catching channel cats in our pond, much more consistent than the bass. Put hybrid bluegills in last yr and waiting for them to get big

Comment

Anxious to see an experts opinion
      We fed the excess perch and eventually ended up cast-netting hundreds
      To move them to another tank.

Comment

If it was me.

Rotenon to clean out whatever trash fish may be there.

Start with a couple of species of minnows like Fathead minnows and/or some shiners.
        Then perch. Give them a couple of months to get situated.
        Then bass and catfish. You need a predator to control the forage fish.

Have fun.

Comment

Check out Pondboss.com.

Comment

3 acres is big enough for crappie. They will help control the perch. I would start out with 75. Check with your local fish hatchery and they can tell you exactly what and how many to stock and when to do it

Comment

This spring would be a great time to stock. You are not far, call Danbury Fish Farm.

Danbury Fish Farms is a leading aquaculture business in Texas, offering high-quality fish and a wide range of products and services to support healthy fish growth and improve overall productivity.

Comment

Don’t put crappie! How big are the perch you can catch? Might be the classic small bass large perch situation. Jumbo perch are a predator and destroy the typical food chain in a healthy pond

Comment

Catch Jeff next time he's in Beaumont at a show and buy his catfish for your pond. You'll have plenty to catch.

Comment

How do you control mud cat population? They seem to take over our pond quickly.

Comment

Flat heads will help control the mud cat population.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                        Don’t put crappie! How big are the perch you can catch? Might be the classic small bass large perch situation. Jumbo perch are a predator and destroy the typical food chain in a healthy pond
                        There are some smaller sized perch but there are some giants in there too. My daughter can catch 40 in an afternoon. Biggest bass I've caught was probably just shy of 3 lbs but 90% of them are 1-1.5lbs I'm guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                          This spring would be a great time to stock. You are not far, call Danbury Fish Farm.

https://danburyfishfarms.com/
                          Thanks for that, I'm going to give them a call and continue my research. I appreciate the link!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                            Flat heads will help control the mud cat population.
                            Till they run out of mudcats.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hayniecat23 View Post
                              How do you control mud cat population? They seem to take over our pond quickly.
                              healthy bass population will eat the fry but can never fully eradicate them

Comment

Working...
                              X