Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best read on Texas history?.

What’s ur thoughts on best read about Texas history

Coach I work with went to Texas History professional development about the Sea of Mud, crazy how one decision altered the history of Texas. Had Mexico decided to counter following the Battle of Jacinto rather than retreat there could be a different version of Texas.

"Two forgotten weeks in 1836 and one of the most consequential events of the entire Texas Revolution have been missing from the historical record—the tale of the Mexican army’s misfortunes in the aptly named “Sea of Mud,” where more than 2,500 Mexican soldiers and 1,500 female camp followers foundered in the muddy fields of what is now Wharton County, Texas."

Comment

It's not necessarily a texas history book, but it is about the texas plains and formation of the texas indians. I am reading currently, Empire of the Summer Moon. It's pretty good so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
        It's not necessarily a texas history book, but it is about the texas plains and formation of the texas indians. I am reading currently, Empire of the Summer Moon. It's pretty good so far.

That one is on my list!

Comment

I have "Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers" sitting on my desk a few months now.
          I have not got to reading it yet. Take a look at it. I am going to read it after Christmas.

Comment

Thats an awesome book!

Comment

"With Santa Anna at the Alamo"
              "A sand county almanac"

A couple good ones. I know a bunch more. We should start a TBH texas/hunting themed book swap. Books are cheap to ship and I have lots.

Comment

One of my favorites.

Comment

I am currently listening to ‘Lone Star: A History of Texas and the Texans’. I’ve enjoyed it thus far and really like it how it goes back all of the way to the first human folks here.

Comment

Wildlife and Man in Texas is a pretty cool read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lone Star: A History of Texas and the Texans. Should be required reading for every Texan. It gives a sense of the "Texas" mindset, where it came from, why, etc.

If you want to know why Texans don't want to be bothered / messed with / etc. read this book. Pure Greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                        Lone Star: A History of Texas and the Texans. Should be required reading for every Texan. It gives a sense of the "Texas" mindset, where it came from, why, etc.

If you want to know why Texans don't want to be bothered / messed with / etc. read this book. Pure Greatness.
                        This and "Empire of the Summer Moon" is just a great and vivid read. It gives you an insight into the culture of violence and survival.

Comment

The little vignettes that Jeep posts.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                            This and "Empire of the Summer Moon" is just a great and vivid read. It gives you an insight into the culture of violence and survival.
                            This great is a greatread

Comment

I have read more Texas history books than I can remember. Really wish I had majored in history as I think I might have made a good prof except the liberals would have shunned me.
                              Anyway, the one I most thoroughly enjoyed is Empire of the Summer Moon which is mostly about Quanah Parker.

Comment

Working...
                              X