Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Texas Ice Update

Hey all,

I am trying to head out to the ranch north of Aspermont on Friday morning. Need to double check the winterized items. How are the roads? Any updates?

Thanks and stay safe. Always be prepared with the emergency whiskey. If you get into trouble, take two shots, then reexamine the issue.

Cheers!

MT

Just talked to my buddy who drove from Ft Worth to north of Cisco this morning to drain the pipes in our hunting cabin. He said roads are just wet so far but there is already a thick coating of ice on the trees. Temps are dropping so it could get real bad if the 40% chance of precip happens

Comment

I just looked at my trail cameras, we are North of Aspermont as well. Temps were 27 this morning at 9 AM, at 10 AM it dropped to 24.

If the roads start to ice up just taking it easy and don’t hit your brakes suddenly, don’t allow yourself to get into a slide and you should be ok. If road is too bad just get two wheels on the shoulder and keep your traction with the gravel or grass on the side of the road.

Good luck and please report back.

Comment

Lots of wrecks around Abilene to Sweetwater this morning. Bridges and overpasses are getting icy.

Comment

Check drivetexas.org also for road conditions.

Comment

We’re shutting down over passes here in Lubbock. Colder and wetter now than when I headed to work this morning. If you can avoid it I’d suggest it, but if not, just be aware of the other idiots on the road and take your time.

Comment

I live NE of Aspermont about 40 miles. Some slick spots on the highways here. The 4 lane(277) has been sprayed by TxDOT and is in pretty good shape except the crossovers. I'd guess it's probably too late to be winterizing up here now. We've been sitting at 25 most of the morning.

Comment

Headed east from Midland on 20... trees are frozen roads are dry so far

Comment

TXDOT Travel Information Line (800) 452-9292

Pretty good resource.

Stay safe out there the next few days

Comment

Any one been on 287? Heading to canyon in a few minutes

Comment

If you go - be prepared to stay until Tuesday.

Comment

It's pretty slick in Midland this morning.

Comment

Slick as snot in Sweetwater off the main roads.

Comment

Smooth sailing to Amarillo from Gainesville. Got better the farther west we went. Headed back early Sunday morning hoping to beat the snow. Low is predicted at -8 Sunday. Not looking forward to that

Comment

Working...
                            X