No announcement yet.

Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am building soon and wondering if anything new has cone about as far as paint for kitchens.
    Last edited by glen; 01-29-2021, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I painted the cabinets in a small house we were renovating after seeing RiverRats post last year. The cabinets were delaminating and were saturated with cooking grease. I took apart and scrubbed all of the doors inside and out, reglued and bradnailed them back together and began painting. The painting was a pain and each door required 3-4 coats on both sides and edges. It was a real pain in the butt. They turned out well but the project took over a week. I wouldn't tackle it again unless my budget was severely strained.

Comment

Like others have said it’s just very time consuming. If you don’t want to sand everything you can wipe it all down good with deglosser, just make sure you have good ventilation. Plan on priming and 2 coats of paint. It will look terrible after the first coat. Spraying will give the smoothest finish. If rolling or brushing you can add fluotrol to the paint to slow the drying time and it will level out better with fewer brush marks.

Comment

Like Anythinghunter8s wife, my wife is a freakin pro with that Annie Sloan paint. She can paint and antique about anything and make it look like its supposed to be 100 years old. Shes pretty good, but we've talked about this "painting cabinets" stuff and it seems pretty technical and touchy, so Im not sure she needs to try and tackle an entire kitchen, even though its sorta smallish. Hard to tell her all that though. haha

Comment

My wife did ours , it took her about 2 weeks ! I fought her on it but it looks like it doubled the size.

The problem with paint are the scratches and they will happen. We have since sold that home and purchased a larger one that has a large bounty of cabinetry covered in the “ golden oak” ! We both want them painted but there is a huge lack of contractors in Hallettsville so “ she will be painting them again” :^)

Comment

For $1800 bucks, I'd cook him a steak and buy his beer after he's done working.

I'd rather drink that much paint than try to apply it.

Comment

I'd like to throat punch whomever painted my cabinets white.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                  I'd like to throat punch whomever painted my cabinets white.
                  The only thing worse than painting your cabinets white is to build a $hi* load of them made of maple from scratch and then paint em white. Happy wife happy life is what they say. They do look great though if I don’t say so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    For $1800 bucks, I'd cook him a steak and buy his beer after he's done working.

I'd rather drink that much paint than try to apply it.

I’m with you on that. I hate painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                      The only thing worse than painting your cabinets white is to build a $hi* load of them made of maple from scratch and then paint em white. Happy wife happy life is what they say. They do look great though if I don’t say so myself.
                      Had to be maple. One of the hardest **** woods that takes hours to sand and get smooth and finished. Then had to slap some paint on them yourself? I bet that hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
                        Had to be maple. One of the hardest **** woods that takes hours to sand and get smooth and finished. Then had to slap some paint on them yourself? I bet that hurt.
                        Yes it did. A lot of it was highly figured stuff. I did have a lot of drops and saved them. Have made several cutting boards with it since then.

Just mineral oil and bee wax on this, no paint lol
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here’s my suggestion: I did mine the first time and paid the pro the second time.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            Yes it did. A lot of it was highly figured stuff. I did have a lot of drops and saved them. Have made several cutting boards with it since then.

Just mineral oil and bee wax on this, no paint lol
                            Wow. That looks great.

Comment

had 40y old Birch w/varnish ..20y ago wife said its time ..We stripped with Orange stripper..Made a few new doors/drawer fronts (to replace damaged) that matched and Bought High gloss Polyurethane...and put on 3 coats..its been over 20y and they still look like new...Shees still Happy,,,,would I do it again yep but its a couple week job and not really fun...but I'm cheapskate not on quality just on paying someone to do something I can do...

Comment

Working...
                              X