Cottonseed vs. Alfalfa - chose one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Coons most definitely like to take a dump in the top of the cottonseed feeders!! This Spring I'm gonna Duke' thay arsses in some o' mine!! Hope to set the trail cam to video...
    I’ve got 6 DP traps at the ranch. Just need to set them out. Going to look for some lids now too.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      Every study I’ve seen regarding negative results with cottonseed have all been with pen raised deer. It’s not intended to be a main food source. Too much of anything can be bad. Cottonseed is however an excellent supplement to a free range deer’s diet.

AC is correct. From the research I pulled up via the internet, Gossypol is a chemical found in the seed that will actually render all male animals sterile. Now, it does not render them unable to grow antlers and the issue of sterility is moot since males are sterile anyway until there testosterone starts churning and burning in the late August, early September time frame. If you stop the cotton seed feeding in August the bucks will not be sterile from the chemical when rutting and mating come time come around. It usually filters our in 4-6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
        AC is correct. From the research I pulled up via the internet, Gossypol is a chemical found in the seed that will actually render all male animals sterile. Now, it does not render them unable to grow antlers and the issue of sterility is moot since males are sterile anyway until there testosterone starts churning and burning in the late August, early September time frame. If you stop the cotton seed feeding in August the bucks will not be sterile from the chemical when rutting and mating come time come around. It usually filters our in 4-6 weeks.
        If they’re not in a pen you can also keep it year round with no issue

Comment

I feed cotton seed year round and have no issues. I use chaffhaye as an attractant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0091.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	24640514

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	24640515

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Is it true pigs won't bother cotton seed?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
            When we fed it in south texas the pigs would eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
              When we fed it in south texas the pigs would eat it.
              Yeah I was hoping they wouldn't but I still have my pen panels. I can deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am wanting to start feeding CS for the Whitetails and we have Axis on place as well, my brother in law is worried that the CS will affect the breeding of the Axis because they breed anytime. I would only feed it from January until July to help the deer out. What do you think about it’s affects on the Axis? I feed protein as well and it is year around.
                Last edited by kenforu; 01-08-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenforu View Post
                  I am wanting to start feeding CS for the Whitetails and we have Axis on place as well, my brother in law is worried that the CS will affect the breeding of the Axis because they breed anytime. I would only feed it from January until July to help the deer out. What do you think about it’s affects on the Axis? I feed protein as well and it is year around.
                  that information is from an old and limited study that just seems to persist. you can feed it year round without any decline in fawn production.

the axis and WT will fight over it

Comment

Where can u get CS around Kerrville? Guessing it is hard to find in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                      Where can u get CS around Kerrville? Guessing it is hard to find in bulk.

I’ve just been buying the 50 pound bags from TSC. It is fortified with vitamins and minerals and molasses flavor and with how bulk prices have went up as of late, it isn’t that much more. About the only one I’ve found available consistently in the hill country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I called the feed store between Kerrville and Hunt they have it in the 50lb sacks at $11:95 for 50lbs . I just picked up two water tote frames and going to put it out on my next trip and fill it up with CS.

Comment

Cotton seed. we are goin to put out 5 tons in couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                            I feed cotton seed year round and have no issues. I use chaffhaye as an attractant.

[ATTACH]1035478[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1035479[/ATTACH]

Interesting feeder design for CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                              Cotton seed till end of March then change over to alfalfa. There is a chemical in cotton seed that does inhibit some of the antler growth. But if you stop feeding it before they start growing then it should be good. Get all of the benefits of the protein and fat in the cotton seed with out any of the problems.
                              He’s right. Seen two studies. They were not on white tailed. But it is believed that results in white tail deer would be the same.

Comment

I’m planning on trying it in Coleman County this year

Comment

Working...
                                X