No announcement yet.

Cottonseed vs. Alfalfa - chose one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC nailed it with both of his post ^^, however, Hsbtgarcia put me on alfalfa earlier in the year, I had deer instantly on it. Think more of an attractant with alfalfa.

Comment

We feed WCS year round, alfalfa only has nutritional value in the leafy parts, whenever dry
      The leafs crumble and are wasted, or wet it’s is moldy and useless

Comment

I was surprised at how fast my deer took to the CS. Mixed it with alfalfa that they’ve been eating since July, and it looks like they are picking out the CS first. Been out less than a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I fed both this season in Fort McKavett. The problem with alfalfa out there is they will literally clear a square bale in 2 days or less at times. I can't keep up with unless we get out there every week. So we usually just use that for when we are there or when we will be back soon.

The cottonseed like mentioned is weather tolerant so it is just easier to put a bunch in a wire cage. The problem I am having is finding it between Austin and there at times and of course the cost is going up.

Comment

I have axis deer and wonder if they like the CS, I know they like the alfalfa.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
              I have axis deer and wonder if they like the CS, I know they like the alfalfa.
              The axis in my yard attacked the cotton seed with much vigor
              They love it

Comment

I tried cotton seed 2 years. Not an animal touched it. Added corn... nada. Took off rack and hogs finally ate it. Never tried hay. Seems extremely expensive if they eat it in volume of seed or feed

Comment

I’ve put out both in mountain home. The deer literally ran out of cover to the alfalfa the morning after it snowed. I put cotton seed out and most deer smelled it and walked away. What’s up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                    I put cotton seed out and most deer smelled it and walked away. What’s up with that?

Simple explanation. They have to get used to it.. Its foreign. Throw some corn around in it so they accidentally get a mouth full of it and realize its good. When my deer decided they liked it,they destroyed it. they found every single kernel...event that stomped in the mud by them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	24640419

Before and after

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	24640420

Comment

Yep, took our deer herd about 8 months to start eating the cottonseed good. Now they'll empty one of those wire feeders in a few days... Especially the bucks, I have cameras on feeders where there is both corn and cottonseed, once they start hitting it, the bucks will almost always be at the cottonseed and ignoring the corn...

Comment

In my experience all deer are different and also prefer different feeds at different times.I have had great success with both in different areas of Texas but I've also had both never get touched in certain areas and times of yr. Same with protein and rice bran.

In OP situation, if they eat both well and I have a good supplier of CS in the area its a no brainer, go with the CS. Better nutrition and lasts longer. Alfalfa is really fed more as an attractant than a viable nutrition source in my opinion even tho it is nutritional.
                        Cottonseed is one of the best all around deer foods because you don't need a special feeder for it. CS only down fall these days is availability and price if your feeding alot of it.

Comment

Wow! As usual, great info!

Comment

Not sure if coons eat it or not but they like playing in the baskets.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                              Not sure if coons eat it or not but they like playing in the baskets.
                              Yep. And crapping all over the tops

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Coons most definitely like to take a dump in the top of the cottonseed feeders!! This Spring I'm gonna Duke' thay arsses in some o' mine!! Hope to set the trail cam to video...

Comment

Working...
                                X