TBH Opinion needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBH Opinion needed

One of our lease members gut shot a REALLY nice 8 point on opening weekend of gun season, he ran off leaving little to no blood trail, another lease member saw the deer at his stand, guts hanging out and shoots and kills the deer. These 2 stands are roughly 1,000 yds apart. Who’s deer is it? Legally, morally? The second shooter took the deer and the first shooter is now mad at the second shooter. As the lease manager I’m not sure where to stand on the issue. Just looking for y’all’s opinion.

TIA
    Last edited by Hotrodd; 11-14-2021, 08:07 AM.

Not opinion

The “rule of first blood” establishes a fair way to determine who can claim an animal that has been shot by two hunters. Although it may not have legal grounds, its strength and enforcement lie directly with understanding and true sportsmanship by all responsible hunters. The first hunter to place an arrow in an animal’s vital area, which draws enough blood to leave a trackable trail and thus has a good chance of bringing the animal into his or her possession, may claim the animal. Conversely, if the first hunter feels that the wound was superficial in nature and recovery of the animal was not likely, that hunter should give up claim to the game if another hunter brings it to the ground.

Comment

IMO the deer never would've been recovered and most likely died of infection in a few days if the second hunter hadn't of been there. I vote it's the second hunters deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First shooters deer 100%

Only way other wise would be if there is NO WAY the shot wouldn't have been lethal... Shooting it in the foot comes to mind... But guys hanging out .. no way

Legally... Possession is 9/10ths of the law
        Last edited by catslayer; 11-14-2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

The second hunters

Comment

1st shooter did not kill the deer and would have never found it when it did die.

2nd shooters deer without a doubt.

Comment

Gut shot deer will die. And a lease mate that respects his other lease members would have gladly given that buck to the first shooter. A deer isn’t worth drama.

To those saying he wouldn’t have found it. How do you know? A dog coulda found that deer fast.

Comment

Second hunter

First hunter would have never found it

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
                  IMO the deer never would've been recovered and most likely died of infection in a few days if the second hunter hadn't of been there. I vote it's the second hunters deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Agreed with this.

That said, had I been the one to put him down, I’d have at least offered it to the first shooter.

Comment

For clarification the first hunters shot was about an inch in front of the crease of the rear leg and about a quarter inch above the belly line. To say the first hunter “barely nicked” him would be a fair statement.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      To those saying he wouldn’t have found it. How do you know? A dog coulda found that deer fast.
                      To answer your question I know because a dog cant find a deer fast that is not going to die fast.

Comment

Second hunter, killing to me means you drive away with that animal in your possession. The first did not.

Comment

When did 2nd shooter shoot it? Same morning / evening hunt or was it later, such as next day?

Comment

There was a story going around 25 years back about a lady hunting that shoots a young spike. Throws it in the truck and drives up to the front gate. The deer wakes up and jumps the truck bed - gate and crosses the road and jumps into the neighbors place. Ten seconds later she hears a gun shot. She knows the neighbor and walks in a bit and there is a guy with a fringe coat and a hat to match and she says "thanks for getting my deer" He says "I don't see your name on it"
                            She picks up the head and shows him her tag in it's ear.
                            He helps her load it back in her truck.

2nd shooters deer with out a tag...

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20, and we don't know all the details, but I guess I'll go ahead and pass judgement anyhow.

First hunter needs to get his mind right! Rather than feeling sorry for himself, what he should be feeling is apologetic/sympothetic to the deer and thankful that his leasemate was able to cleanly dispatch the animal that he had maimed with a poor shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X