Big Thicket National Preserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Thicket National Preserve

Curious if anyone has had success on a trophy out of these units. i have hunted Lance Rosier off and on and have seen mature deer but have been out of bow range this year i plan on getting a slug gun to increase my odds. its a huge unit i think 27K acres but most of it is so dense almost impossible to hunt.

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
    Curious if anyone has had success on a trophy out of these units. i have hunted Lance Rosier off and on and have seen mature deer but have been out of bow range this year i plan on getting a slug gun to increase my odds. its a huge unit i think 27K acres but most of it is so dense almost impossible to hunt.

IMO anything on public land is a trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

I should have 2 bucks on the wall from LR. I can blow an opportunity with the best if them. I believe it's 21k unless they added acreage. Got my first bowkill out there. I've personally never seen a rattlesnake there either but supposedly it's covered in them now. I switched to the Beaumont unit a few years back to just have a closer drive. I opted for a muzzleloader instead of slug gun to use during muzzy season

Comment

I grew up around it and hunted it some as a kid. Father-in-law hunts it exclusively and has for 50+ years. You guys would laugh me off the green screen if I mentioned how many deer he has killed. I’ve seen a few 120’s come out of there, heard a few folks say they have seen a giant or two. I’m sure there are some big deer, but this area has been poached hard for years and years. I’ve heard the same things mentioned about snakes too. Was told they actually put timber rattlers out there to relocate? Not sure if that’s 100% true or myth? It’s hard hunting for sure, but very rewarding if you kill anything. Good luck.

Comment

i have personally seen 2 timber rattlers out there. snake guards are a must out there for me bc if you get bit back in there your in serious trouble especially as deep as i go sometimes i scouted a new section this year on a oak flat hopefully turns up some shooter deer lots of white oaks and reds. with decent shooting lanes. i have seen some really big body bucks in there but all out of bow range. im hunting it again this season off and on as well as my own private land spot. have yet to kill one out there so the challenge intrigues me and i want to get one this season

Comment

Easttxhog I'm going to pm you my number shoot me a text.

Comment

There are some great bucks in BT and TRNWR, they are good at slipping. Keep in mind, if the government shuts down most national lands do too.

Comment

Can someone school me on these units and how it works? I am sure it is too late this year but I'm looking at the website for Big Thicket and still have a few more questions as to how you get going on hunting this land, specifically the Beaumont Unit unless yall say not to even waste the time but it's about 5 miles from the house.

Comment

Beaumont unit is by boat only. They DO run out of permits. To hunt there you go to Kountze to the visitor center to get a permit. It's free. It's bow muzzleloaders or shotgun hunting only. I don't think it has as many animals as the other units do but I enjoy it out there. I've never seen so many stands left in the woods as this unit though.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                      Beaumont unit is by boat only. They DO run out of permits. To hunt there you go to Kountze to the visitor center to get a permit. It's free. It's bow muzzleloaders or shotgun hunting only. I don't think it has as many animals as the other units do but I enjoy it out there. I've never seen so many stands left in the woods as this unit though.
                      Thank you very much for the info! I was unaware it was by boat only and they did not tell me that.

Comment

no deer on the big thicket land at all …. Don’t waist your time ….

Comment

I have been thinking about LR, for a little squirrel hunted. When i was looking at their website today i found this interesting. General Nov 6 – Jan 2 archery, shotgun (buckshot or slug), muzzleloader,
                          rifle (straight-walled cartridge ). So what is the straight walled cartridge they are talking about ?

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                            I have been thinking about LR, for a little squirrel hunted. When i was looking at their website today i found this interesting. General Nov 6 – Jan 2 archery, shotgun (buckshot or slug), muzzleloader,
                            rifle (straight-walled cartridge ). So what is the straight walled cartridge they are talking about ?
                            calibers like .350 legend, .450 bushmaster, .357, .44, etc.

Comment

I don’t hunt any of it but I’m surrounded by the units in Kountze, I use the trails to stay in shape. Whatever unit is on north side of 327 along the creek is full of deer, not sure if they let you hunt it though.

Comment

Working...
                              X