X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flea/Tick control

Topical or collar??
    Heartline or Advantex??

Found some huge ticks on Mattie dog this morning. Never had an issue with them before.

I use trifexis. It's a monthly pill.
    Heartworm and flea control in one package. We haven't had a flea since we started using it.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
      I use trifexis. It's a monthly pill.
      Heartworm and flea control in one package. We haven't had a flea since we started using it.
      This^^^ It's not cheap, but it works good for my dogs.

Comment

X2 Trifexis.. May need to get some spray for those ticks, if you have trees and can spray them and any other shrubs. If you have cats around outdoors they are good roamers and pick up fleas from other places as well

Comment

To save some money, my vet suggested buying a six month box, for twice the weight/size dog and cutting the tablets in half. Lasts for a year then.

Comment

I use comfortis. It sounds a lot like that triflexis stuff. High dollar but it works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by kwperry View Post
              I use comfortis. It sounds a lot like that triflexis stuff. High dollar but it works like a charm.
              Trifexis has the heartworm meds. Comfortis does not. Otherwise it's the same I believe.

Comment

We have fought fleas every year. Last year we go Trifexis and haven't seen a single flea since.

Comment

We used Nexgard for the first time this year. Monthly dose that ain't cheap, BUT within a couple of days no ticks (which have been terrible for the last couple of years). They're still scratching like they have fleas but haven't found any. May just be dry skin-----

Comment

I use trifexis on my lab for fleas and heartworms. During duck season I'll run a collar for ticks.

Comment

To remove use a "tick key" you can Google. They work like a charm. They also get the head!!

Comment

Originally posted by kwperry View Post
                        Where do you get it? I already have a year supply for both of my dogs so I just need the flea control.

Comment

We use Sentinel. ZERO FLEAS AND TICKS and NO HEARTWORMS

Sentinel is the only monthly oral preventive that guards against heartworms, adult roundworms, adult hookworms, whipworms, and prevents the development of flea eggs. Sentinel requires a prescription from your veterinarian.

Benefits:
                          • Comes in palatable flavored tabs
                          • Easy to administer just once a month

How it works:
                          Milbemycin oxime eliminates the tissue stage of heartworm larvae and the adult stage of hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm infestations. Lufenuron, the other active ingredient, is an insect development inhibitor that breaks the flea life cycle by inhibiting egg development. Lufenuron prevents most flea eggs from hatching or maturing into adults and thus prevents and controls flea populations by breaking the life cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieland View Post
                            Where do you get it? I already have a year supply for both of my dogs so I just need the flea control.

My brother in law is a vet in floresville so I usually just get it from him. I think it has to be prescribed.

Comment

So the last time I was home, almost a year ago now, there was a horrible tick problem in the Fort Bend area and my parents dogs were covered in ticks. My buddy told me to use something called Damascus earth. You can find a bag of it at home depot or Lowes. It's volcanic ash(small silicone particles), it gets into the flea/ticks exoskeleton and stabs them to death basically. Nothing else was working for them and I'll be darned if it didn't do the trick. Put it in a cheap spreader and spread it on your yard and put a little on your dogs/cats. Little dust bath if you will. Doesn't hurt the animal, it's nontoxic, and it's fairly cheap. Get the Trifexis and us the DE as a supplement.

^^^ this X1000 ^^^^

I cannot stress how unbelievably well it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X