2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
    Trinity county here and my deer numbers are down roughly 50% over from last yr. Does and bucks are both down, I used to average 6-8 deer a sit now I am lucky to see a deer this yr.. Could be that myself and Etxbuckman are the only ones seeing this
    No I'm included

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      I'm glad someone's seeing deer. LOL

Look if it was just me having a problem I'd say, OK, I'm not doing something right. But there's guys all over here saying the same thing, and it's true for some of the pages I follow on FB as well.

Obviously there's going to be pockets holding good deer numbers, but there's a growing number of places not holding good deer numbers. I've been hunting east TX since '87 or '88 and I remember well all the years you were lucky to see a deer in a season, let alone kill anything. And while we're not doing that bad currently, whether people want to admit or not there's a lot places trending that direction.
      Being on a MLDP property, you should be able to statistically see the change in your yearly report.

What does it show?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        Being on a MLDP property, you should be able to statistically see the change in your yearly report.

What does it show?
        Not sure I follow? Are you asking for a number of deer harvested?

I can tell you last year we took, I think four bucks, maybe five, and six or seven does off 2400 acres. The year before we took three or four bucks, and five, maybe six does.

I don’t recall the numbers prior to that, but even if we were given more permits now it wouldn’t matter when they’re not there to kill. Now there was a time just a few years ago we could easily kill 12 - 15 does a season if we wanted to, but even then we were only taking no more than seven or eight.

Comment

Do you not get a years report from your biologist? I am thinking maybe it isn’t shared with you? It has all the trending info in sightings, harvest data, weight trends, etc. in it as well as habitat utilization, etc. year over year.

This will help you understand what is really going on.

In a nutshell, our’s is showing significantly more sightings per sit, much more 2nd browse utilization, and greatly reduced harvest weights, which tells us we have the opposite issue most you guys are stating. We have too many deer and need to shoot many more than we have been in the past years.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            Do you not get a years report from your biologist? I am thinking maybe it isn’t shared with you? It has all the trending info in sightings, harvest data, weight trends, etc. in it as well as habitat utilization, etc. year over year.

This will help you understand what is really going on.

In a nutshell, our’s is showing significantly more sightings per sit, much more 2nd browse utilization, and greatly reduced harvest weights, which tells us we have the opposite issue most you guys are stating. We have too many deer and need to shoot many more than we have been in the past years.
            Gotcha. Our lease manager might get a copy, but I’ve never seen it.

Comment

we are still seeing this tank, what do you guys think this deer weighs? if the wind will swing a bit for sunday i will get my son out looking for him..

Comment

He is a little on the northwest side of east Texas [emoji16]

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Not much to compare to but I wouldn’t be surprised if he broke 190 or bigger.

Comment

Looks about 160 to me. Probably lost a lot of weight the past month.

Comment

How high are you putting those demand feeders off the ground? And are they high enough that you don’t have problems with hogs?

Comment

I bought 2 of those new style moultrie feeders like that. Except mine have 2 feed ports. I ended up taking them down. I never once had a deer stick there nose in them.

Comment

Our deer numbers this year in northern Jasper county are up. So much, that I killed a doe this year for the first time since 1988. Probably could have killed a couple more. Trying to keep the number of mouths to feed down a little bit so they don’t over graze the place.

We also had a good fawn crop last year and a great fawn crop this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                            I bought 2 of those new style moultrie feeders like that. Except mine have 2 feed ports. I ended up taking them down. I never once had a deer stick there nose in them.
                            It’s interesting to me how different ETX deer herds act. Our deer take to that type of demand feeder very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                              It’s interesting to me how different ETX deer herds act. Our deer take to that type of demand feeder very good.
                              My bucks on the jasper/Newton county line are terrified of mine too

Comment

It’s been so long now, I can’t remember the last time I saw a buck that was older than 2.5 go to a timed feeder. The doe will fight each other for a spot at the feeder though. So we hunt feeders during the rut and trails and draws before and after.

But our bucks will go to demand feeders.

Comment

Working...
                                X